9. Careful

*** PLEASE COMMENT & VOTE! ***

"This tastes horrible Didi!" Indi's face scrunched tightly in disgust as she spat the food out of her mouth and into the napkin in her right hand, her hair still wet from our earlier swim. I'd been much more cautious around the pool, only going in when Indi was over. I was still too scared to swim alone, the fear still looming over me.

"Where did you get these sweets?" Spitting the rest out, she quickly dumped it in the trash beside the counter and joined me on the couch. I couldn't stifle my laughter as she shook her head of the taste of it.

"Those aren't sweets. They're for Romeo, Anjali's dog." My laughter was unstoppable now as she shrieked and ran back to the kitchen, scrambling for water to cleanse her palate. "I'm sorry Indi!" My body doubled over from the pain in my ribs, part from the laughter, and still from before. I dried my eyes of the tears as she spat the water out.

"How could you?" Indi took another big mouthful from the kitchen tap before wiping her mouth with the dish towel, glowering on her way over to me.

"I didn't do anything Indi, you tried them without asking me first!" Feeling the pain subside, I straightened up before she sat down beside me, knowing if I didn't, there would be hell to pay. Indi was not one to be made fun of.

"Ugh," she grunted unhappily before closing her eyes and composing herself again. "So..." Taking a small mirror and lipstick out of the purse beside her, she carefully reapplied the glossy colour to her lips, tactfully replacing it and closing the bag. "You said someone contacted you about a possible job?"

"Yeah actually, a recruitment agency in the city. They said they found my resume online, I didn't even apply to the job!"

"That's fantastic! What did they say?" Indi sat down next to me on the couch.

"They want me to bring my portfolio and come in for a preliminary interview. They're looking for a producer to head up a commercial for their company."

"That sounds perfect! When's the interview?" Indi smeared her lips together evening out the colour.

"I don't know yet. They're going to email me with the date and time. To be honest, I'm really excited about this Indi. This could be my first real filmy job, exactly what I need for my portfolio to gain some ground."

"Well, just don't forget about me when you're working next to Ranveer Singh on his next big film, okay?" She chuckled, squeezing my knee.

"Have you applied anywhere else yet?"

"A few places, but still, nothing." I shrugged, not overly concerned about it. The fact that this company had found me, made me all the more hopeful it would work out.

"Hmm..." A smile crept into the corner of Indi's mouth and I knew she was waiting to share something with me.

"What?"

"Mummy and Saumya finally agreed to let Ranjit and I have our pick of the linens for the wedding!"

"Really? I never thought..." I rolled my eyes at it. Their parents were being ridiculous.

"Well, I didn't either, but Ranjit put his foot down in front of them all," she smiled wistfully. "He knows I have my own idea of how I want the venue to look, how I want everything to feel, you know?" Her eyes were bright as she looked up at me again, I could tell she was proud of what he'd done.

"That's great news Indi, maybe now they'll start to realize you're the ones getting married and not them." I could only hope for her.

"Well, at the least they know that there are some things that we want for ourselves. We're a modern couple Didi, and they are going to have to accept that," she nodded bringing home her point.