Episodes 29 & 30

Letter Twenty-nine

Dear Chief Justice Silverstein and Fellow Justices:

After the Supreme Court effectively legalized same-sex marriage in the United States, it was easy to think that the cultural debate regarding this controversial issue was over, or at least would gradually die down.

But not so. Really, it was just getting started. Huge quarters of American society are apprehensive about or outright opposed to the LGBT agenda. Conservative legal groups have been arming for the conflict to protect houses of worship, educational institutions, and privately-owned businesses against those who seek to force them to abide by laws that they believe are unconstitutional, unbiblical, and immoral. Unfortunately, the LGBT activist community raised its head in a place where many did not suspect anyone would cause a stink: the public restroom.

Battles have been famously (or infamously) fought in South Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and, most notably, in Georgia and North Carolina. The lines have been drawn over whether or not people who "identify" with a gender other than their birth gender should be allowed to use a public restroom that so-called "trans-gendered" individuals claim is the gender they presently "identify" with, which is opposite the gender God made them.

I would like to make a single point in this letter. According to a Pew survey, only 7% of Americans identify as LGBT, and only 1% identify as transgender. Will we really allow such a slim minority of individuals to dictate to the rest of the country on such personal matters as who gets to use certain public restrooms? This kind of "minority rule" is the type of government our founding fathers ran from. Surely, the minority is loud. The minority may even be powerful. The minority has deep pockets. But none of that makes the minority right. The American people -- from the ordinary citizen to the highest judges and government officials in the country -- must stand up and not allow common sense and decency to be drowned out by loud shouting from a few.

Sincerely,

Michael Elderson

Letter Thirty

Dear Chief Justice Silverstein and Fellow Justices:

I would like to address the protection question.

One of the primary arguments against the demand of LGBT activists that transgender individuals be allowed to use the bathroom of their choice is that vulnerable individuals will be put at risk of rape, sexual assault, and mental trauma.

Up until the present day in modern society, men and boys have used public restrooms marked for males, and women and girls have used public restrooms marked for females. Unfortunately, also in modern society, we have a criminal element, a group of individuals, who prey on those who are vulnerable with the intent of rape, molestation, sodomy, or other offensive, non-consenting sexual acts. These cases are routinely reported on in the media, and sadly to avoid family and individual embarrassment, many go unreported.

Now, if we get rid of birth-gender-designated bathrooms, we open the door to a whole series of problems. Straight males will be free to enter "female" restrooms with the intent of committing unspeakable acts because there will simply no longer be "female" restrooms. There will only be confusing free-for-alls. (If someone were to confront these males, they would simply be able to say they presently feel as though they are female, and be allowed to enter unhindered.) These persons may also be registered sex offenders, convicted rapists, child molesters, or wicked perverts who feed on pornography and want to act out what they look at. Legally, allowing them into female restrooms gives them a prime hunting ground where they can prey on and attack vulnerable women and girls.

Furthermore, people who claim to be transgender will be allowed to enter the bathroom of their choice -- be they biologically male or female. This will result in extreme confusion for boys and girls who see persons of the opposite sex in a place where they have been taught (and naturally know) such persons should not be. Some children have already been forever traumatized by such an occurrence. Public schools are already grappling with this issue. Society throws enough trash at impressionable girls and boys. They should not have to endure the mental confusion of seeing someone of the opposite sex in a place that is not designated for them.

This whole bathroom issue is a slippery slope, a Pandora's box. Those who claim to be "on the right side of history" do not know the hornets' nest they are playing with.

Sincerely,

Michael Elderson