part two

As Thursday morning arrived, Camila awoke in Dinah's bed and glanced over to her own bed only to notice it was empty. Camila figured Lauren must have left in the middle of the night.

Camila trudged across the hall and found herself knocking on Lauren's door, regardless of the time being 6:24 am.

Lauren was wide awake flipping through the pages of Camila's journal, which she had taken last night. She got up from the table she'd been sitting at and approached the door being knocked on. Lauren looked through the peephole and saw Camila standing there in her light pink pajamas. Lauren wanted to open the door. She felt bad that she couldn't because she had Camila's journal wide-open on the table. Lauren returned to the table ignoring the series of knocks that followed.

Lauren let out the breath she'd been holding in when she heard Camila's footsteps fading. Moments later, though, the footsteps became apparent again. A piece of paper appeared from under the door, so Lauren tiptoed to the door and picked it up. The footsteps disappeared as she unfolded the paper and saw the cutest handwriting she'd ever seen before.

Hey Lauren, the letter began. This is Camila. I just wanted to make sure you got to your room safely last night since when I woke up this morning you weren't here. I hope this isn't too much to ask, but when you wake up can you just stop by my room so I know you're ok? Thanks! - Camila

Lauren blushed while reading the letter and wondered if Camila could be any cuter. If it was up to Lauren, she'd ask Camila out on a date right now, but Lauren knows better than to get involved with Camila, no matter how strong her attraction may be.

Lauren went back to the table and picked up Camila's journal. Lauren felt incredibly guilty for flipping through Camila's private thoughts but it was the only way to get answers about Camila's family life.

Once Lauren had finished snooping through Camila's journal with no more answers than she knew before, she slipped it in her pillowcase and went across the hall to check in with Camila.  Lauren knocked on the door and almost immediately Camila opened it.

"Hey Camila.  I got your note and I wanted to let you know that I'm alright," Lauren said.

"Thank you," Camila said, blushing a little.  "I-I mean for checking in with me.  Thanks."

Lauren checked her watch - 7:03.

"Would you and Dinah maybe want to grab some breakfast?" Lauren asked.

"You will never find Dinah awake before 8:00 AM. I, however, would love to grab some breakfast," Camila responded.

Over breakfast, Lauren and Camila could be heard chatting about boyfriends again.

"So you've really never been on a date before?" Lauren asked.

"No. Going on a date implies that a boy would have had to like me enough to ask me out," Camila said.

"I'm sorry, Camz," Lauren said.

"Camz?" Camila questioned.

"Yeah, Camz. That's my nickname for you," Lauren replied.

"I like it," said Camila.

"I like you," Lauren said before she realized what exactly she was saying.

An awkward silence took over.

"So what about you? No boyfriends either?" Camila asked.