_Chapter_05_

SOMEONE NEW BY HOZIER to the side somewhere.

It wasn't until I was already more than half way home that I realize that my actions toward the secretary were going to have consequences.

I let out a deep sigh. Now she was probably going to blab about it to all of her teacher friends and maybe even to the principle. Mental note to self; no more playing with the wolves. I've got to be serious about this. No more being irresponsible, I have to go to the the school and build up a strength to resist human scent, blood, and just human period. And of course the werewolves.

That's it. That's basically all we're here for so I just have to do that then we can leave. Even if Selene wants to stay after I finish with my vamp training, which I highly doubt she will, I can leave and be free to do what I please. So I've got to get through it. My decision has been made.

Maybe when I leave this town I can find a coven that would accept me. That'd be nice, living with many of my kind sounds nice. I could even try to build up my rank so that I could be eligible for a position in the council.

That's enough of thinking about a possible future. I'm almost home now.

When I come to the edge of the woods before our house I see a grey truck in our driveway. Automatically I stop in my steps.

I exhale a shallow breath and hesitantly take a step only to stop again. Glancing behind me to the long road I estimate how long it'd take to run from here back to the school. Probably 20 minutes at full speed.

There is a small possibility that it could be a group of hunters. Even though I may be stronger than a human, a group of them along with weapons that could kill me instantly was threatening and I'm  not sure I want to take the chance.

Sliding my phone out of my pocket I keep my eyes on the house. Searching outside wouldn't do much-- if they were out here I'd be able to smell them. After dialing Selene's number I hold the  phone to my ear. As I wait for her to pick up I kind of migrate into the trees, not so much as to completely hide myself  but at least if someone were to look out a window they wouldn't see me without stressing their eyes.

Selene's not answering her phone and I've called it five times. Well if she's not going to answer I might as well go in and check it out myself. 

The question here is how do I approach the situation? Do I go in with major caution or do I go in with ease and hope for the best?

I'll take 'proceed with caution' for 500 please.

I'm hypersensitive as I approach the house. Aware of every movement I make along with the movements of everything around me.

Maybe I should turn back and just wait for Selene...

Just keep going, stop being a puss. The inner voice says to me, no longer just a whisper. 

Taking it's advice I walk forward with a straight back and strong, confident steps. The demon, I guess, surges forward a bit and I'm filled with even more power and confidence. 

When I finally get to the front door I enter quietly, knowing there has to be a stranger here. A stranger who has a 67% chance of being here specifically to end my life.

The very first thing I notice when I'm fully inside of the house is the smell of male musk and dog. Obviously werewolves, the scent is very powerful too, dominant, so I'm going to take a guess and say a higher ranked wolf as well. 

I make my way through the ground floor of the house, everything is right where we left it this morning. Nothing out of place except minor things like a couple pillows. It's kind of funny though how the only reason that I know that is because Selene has a thing for pillows being only at the end of couches. Not in the middle not even a quarter of a way across one seat, always at the end.