Chapter 5

*Everything was black. Then it wasn't. But it was all so silent.*

          I woke up in a white room. A bright, white room. Their were strange looking pieces of equipment laying around, and it all smelt like cookies, fresh out of the oven.

          I saw a boy, about my age. He was wearing what appeared to be tight, purple scrubs. They clung to his body showing off his large muscles and tan, chiseled skin. He appeared to be trying to get my attention. I saw him moving his lips, but I didn't know what he said. "Why don't you talk? With actual sound?" I asked him with annoyance in my voice, at least I think. I didn't really hear myself ask him. I saw him furiously scribble on a piece of paper.

           "Can you hear me? Can you hear... anything?", it asked.

           "No! I c-c-can't hear!", I said, unable to hear my own voice. I could feel panic setting in. Was I deaf? Will I have to be put down? In Aphrodietinies, anyone who isn't born "perfect" is put down. We call it "merciful sleep".

           "That's okay! Come with me, I'll give you the hearing test, just to be sure.", he wrote. I could tell he was trying to be reassuring, and it felt nice. But I knew the truth. I was deaf.

            "Thanks. But first may I ask who you are, and where I am? You look my age, but I don't think I've ever seen you at school." He took out the notepad and begin writing.

            "First off, you are in the Hospital of Zeusisian. After you fainted at Job Day, we took you here. We already got you an apartment here, because the Delphinus Orcale, works and lives straight from the Capitol of Amaracun. Also, I am one of the newest doctors of the Capitol. I was one of the best, so this is the job I was assigned. My name is Troiulus, but I prefer Troye. I'm from Apoles." I had to read the note a few times to take it in. I couldn't believe it. Not saying anything, I silently followed him to the other room, with the hearing test.

           I failed the hearing test. However, they informed me I would still fulfil my duties as the Delphinus Orcale. I wish I knew what those duties were.

           Being deaf takes sometime to get used to. At least I thought I was deaf, the doctors thought I was deaf. But why? Although I didn't hear the sounds of others, the voices in my head got louder. And louder. And louder! Louder! LOUDER!

           "Shut up!", I yelled to no one in particular. I had so many thoughts racing through my head and they wouldn't be quiet. Why am I here? What is the Delphinus Orcale? What will I do? Where exactly am I? Who am I? No! I know who I am! I'm Kaali Tuchamonti! Things may have been a little crazy these past few days, but I'm still Kaali. I brushed my wavy beach blonde hair, did my makeup, and smiled  I said out loud, "You are amazing! People love you!" Immediately, my thoughts quieted down a little. I felt calmer and more confident. I had that effect on people, they always seemed to do what I ask of them. I just never thought I would have to use that "power" on myself.

           I looked around from the desk I was sitting at, and realised where I was. This must have been my apartment. But how did I get there? Last thing I remember was walking from the hearing test. With Troye. My stomach felt queasy. Growing up in Aphrodietinies, we had many a lesson in school on love. One of the "symptoms" of love is stomach pains. No! Kaali! You aren't in love! You don't know him! You are just hungry. That's all. I tried to focus on my apartment. It was green. I liked green. I immediately felt even more relaxed. I noticed mirrors. Everywhere! In Aphrodietinies, we always had mirrors, wherever you would go. I walked to the bed and laid down. The sheets felt like clouds. Feeling at home in this apartment, with its many mirrors and the prevalence of the colour green, I began to fall asleep. Not caring for a second about being in a strange place, the nation of Zeusisian, I blacked out. Again.