Goodbye

It was a lazy sunday afternoon in the middle of June. The breeze felt cold on your skin but the sun was exceptionally hotter than usual. They were seated on a bench in the middle of a park. He was seated on one side and she was seated on the other. Both of them looked like they weren't having the best day.

"Let's stop this." She said under her breath.

"Why? Give me one good reason why we should." He demanded.

"Para saan pa? Why should I give you a reason kung hahantong din sa wala?" She said furiously.

"Because I want to fix this. I want to fix us." He said trying to stop his voice from cracking.

"Para saan pa? Hindi ka pa ba napapagod? Kasi ako pagod na pagod na eh." She was angry. She was angry at him for being the sweet guy he'd always been and it pains her to do this. But this was all she could think of.

"Anong nangyari sa promise natin na tayong dalawa?" A tear escaped his eye but he wiped it quickly before she notice; she did, she noticed and it broke her heart.

"Look, RJ, wala na eh. Wala ng tayong dalawa. Wala na yung ikaw at ako. Wala ng TAYO. Bakit ba pinipilit mo parin ayusin to?" 2 years of being in show business improved her acting a lot and he didn't notice anything. He still believed she was serious.

"Kasi mahal kita. Mahal na mahal kita kaya gusto kong ayusin to. Ano ba mahirap intindihin dun?" He said, his voice getting louder.

"Hindi na kita mahal eh. Yun ba gusto mo marinig? Hindi na kita mahal kaya ayoko na." She bit her lip to stop herself from crying. But she always did stop herself because she was the stronger one in their relationship.

"Hindi yan totoo. Hindi yan yung reason kung bakit ayaw mo na." Streams of tears were falling on his cheeks. He looked at her. "May ibang reason ba kung bakit? Sabihin mo na please."

"Hindi na nga kita mahal. Ano pa bang reason kailangan mo? Hindi na kita mahal kaya paalam na." She said annoyed before standing up and getting ready to leave. "Minahal kita, RJ. Sana makahanap ka ng babae na kayang suklian yung pagmamahal na binibigay mo. Be happy, RJ." With that she walked away suppressing the tears forming in her eyes. He wanted to run after her but he couldn't move. Defeated, he just sat there bawling his eyes out. The woman he loves, the woman he was ready to marry, the woman who made everything right in his life just left him.

Maine ran to her car with tears streaming down her face. She can't breathe normally. It's like something heavy was being placed on her chest. Her brother was just looking at her with pity in his eyes. He knew that her sister did not want to break up with him. RJ was her happiness, he meant the whole world to her but she didn't want him to be tied to her. She didn't want to become a hindrance to RJ's dreams. People might think that she was clingy or she was demanding of RJ's time but in reality, she just wanted to cherish every moment she spends with him.

"Kuya, pagod na ako, bilisan mo pagdrive ah para makapagpahinga na ako. Salamat, kuya." She said in between sobs. Her brother nodded and started driving. When they reached their destination she was fast asleep in the backseat.

"Good afternoon sir, wheelchair po?" one of the nurses approached them with a wheelchair.

"Yes, kuya, salamat!" Her brother said before opening the door and carrying her to the wheelchair. "Menggay, andito na tayo." He said softly waking her up in her slumber.

"Salamat kuya." She said with tear-stained cheeks and half-lidded eyes. "Wag mo sasabihin kahit kanino, please kuya?" She said to the guy pushing her wheelchair to her room.

"Oo naman, pero sigurado ka ba sa decision mo?" He asked her. She just sighed and started nibbling on her lip.

"Ewan ko kuya. Pero this was the only way I can think of para masmadali niya akong makalimutan." She said wiping the tears forming in her eyes again. "Tsaka hindi na niya kailangan malaman kung ano nangyayari sakin. Ha, kuya?" She added having a feeling that was what her brother would ask next.

"Hay! Ikaw bahala Menggay. Basta kung kailangan mo ng makakausap ah, nandito lang kami ng mga kapatid natin. Kahit anong mangyari, mahal ka namin." He said as he opened the door of her room. He pushed the wheelchair near the bed and helped her stand up. "Magpahinga ka na, mamaya ka pa daw lalagyan ng mga swero." He kissed her forehead and dimmed the light.

She was thinking about RJ and what would happen next. She didn't want anyone to know the reason why she's where she was. She closed her eyes and prayed for RJ's happiness. "I love you, RJ. Please, please be happy." She said in her head as the slumber slowly took her in again.