53 - Article

Goodbye Fiona Salvatore ?

Is the beloved The Vampire Diaries and The Originals actress saying her final goodbyes to the show ? 

Rumors have been going around recently, that at the beginning of The Originals season 2 we shall be saying goodbye to Fiona Salvatore, as actress Rachel White has bowed out of the show. We here at Buzzfeed managed to get an exclusive interview with the actress, shedding some light on the shock rumors being spread.

Q - Recently, there has been word that you will only be in the first few episodes of TO season 2, as you have decided to bow out of the show ? Can you confirm or deny these rumors ?

It is correct, that I am bowing out of The Originals, but not permanently. Fiona Salvatore will grace your TV screens once more, but not until the season finale or season 3 at the latest.

Q - Why is it you are taking a break from the show ? 

I'm taking a break from The Originals, because I recently landed a roll on a new movie, as one of the lead characters. I can't really go into detail about it yet, just due to nothing about this movie has been released to the public yet, but I am taking a break to film for this new movie. It was an offer that, even though I was going to turn down, was something that was best for me to do. 

Q - What helped you make the decision to accept the role ? Is it anything to do with new romance with Joseph Morgan ?

No, no, me and Joseph are fine. Great, in fact. Accepting the role was at the back of my mind, I had been offered the role while I was dating Dylan O'Brien, but after the break up I turned it down. Initially, I was going to move to LA and leave The Originals permanently, just so I could be closer to Dylan while we were dating. But that ended, and I decided to the stay in Atlanta, be with my friends and do what I love.

Really, my agent and Julie Plec pushed me to take the role, telling me what a good opportunity it was. Knowing that I could go do this, then still come back to the job i know and love, was what really helped me make my decision.

Q - Assuming you are very close with the TVD and TO cast, how did they take news of your brief departure ?

For the main, they have been very supportive. I will admit, they don't want me to leave, and leaving them is going to be heartbreaking. But, we are making the time I have left before I leave, then we will be counting down the days till I see them again. They are like family to me, and the fact I know they are there for me no matter what, is amazing.

Q - Is there is anything you would like to say, in regards to putting Fiona's character to bed for a while ? 

In 2009, I landed the role of Fiona Salvatore, and I was shocked. This was the first big role I had ever landed, and I honestly thought I screwed up my audition, and Julie would go with someone else. But, then I got the call saying I got the role, and it was the best day of my life. I met Ian, Paul and Nina, the three people I worked closely with for the first two seasons, and we bonded immediately. Working with them, and becoming friends with them, was just so amazing.

Then, they introduced the Original Family to the show, and cast Daniel, Joseph and Claire at first. I remember Julie calling me into her office a few days after the casting, saying she has a new story line she wanted to discuss, something about giving Fiona a love interest. I was hesitant, as Fiona has never had a love interest at that point, she had been single. In my mind I was thinking, I don't care who I have to kiss, just please let them have pretty eyes. I don't know why, but that was what was running through my mind. 

The I met Joseph (Who had very pretty eyes), and even though it was awkward at first, it turned and evolved into something great. Auditioning for The Vampire Diaries changed my life in way I never could imagined, and I am always going to be grateful for being gave the role of Fiona Salvatore. 

Putting her to bed for what is going to be a little less then a year, is going to be hard. She has became such a big part of my life, but it is the right time for a break. And in the back of my mind, I will always be looking forward to putting her onto your screens once again. 

Q - Finally, can you tell us what Fiona's finale episode is going to be like ? Is she going to get a bang to go out on ?

I've seen the script for Fiona's last episode, and even thought I can't say much, it is gonna be an emotional one. Julie and all of the other writers, have went all out on giving her a good exit and a way to bring her back in the future, an I can't wait to make that episode the best it can be.