A not so random meeting

Ren glared at her over the table. He caught her looking at him several times in the shiny polished reflection of the dark black wood. It was her, augmented he was sure of it.

The host tapped a champagne glass and it fell silent, so she glanced over to her right. Ren's stare lingered beyond the point of creepy, then he focused his attention to his left as well.

"... great honor to have such a table full with such great minds and vision. To the future!"

Glasses were raised, chatter returned to the table. Ren spoke to his left to a lady older, before she lost interest, so he resolved to some more staring. Finally, she lost her discipline, had listened over a bionic implant or it was simply coincidence, they locked eyes.

"Why are you here?" He mouthed while grinning through his teeth.

A strong feminine reply, full with a passive aggressiveness he hoped to avoid since he left the military: she smiled warmly at him.

"Liu Zhu Ren, if I would have known you would sit across from me I would have worn a dress with more cleavage. Maybe then you would not stare that long at my face."

If this was not a public meeting she had a knife in her chest and she knew it. So he played the game.

"Maybe later, if there is time."

"What would you late wife say about that?"

Ren's face turned red. She knew.

"I see bad news travels fast. But I am sure she understood the sacrifices I need to make."

Her slender hand trembled a bit when she took her glass, it was slight, but Ren noticed it. Maybe she started to realize her implants stopped working the moment she mentioned his wife. Ren attended some boring political conversation on his right to a chairman of a board of some company. Then he excused himself after the amuse-bouche and starter.

"Sorry to excuse myself, I will be right back." Ren leaned over and whispered over her wine glass.

"You will pay for this, you know."

She just gave him a smile while she moved her dark hair away from her dark green eyes.

"And to think I would have given my life back then for a candlelit dinner."

_______________________________________________________________

Comment are welcome, vote it you like it please. Thank you.