A Tail On Her Forehead

After a considerable amount of crying with my mom at the airport, Nathan and I finally got to the plane - just in time.

"T-t-th-hanks," I said between sobs as Nathan handed me a tissue.

I wasn't one to cry, and I suddenly began to wonder where my body was acquiring all that fluid.  I knew I looked like a mess but, for once, Nathan didn't comment on how I looked. Instead, he wrapped his arms around me, pulled me in close until we were high up in the sky, on our way to a new life.

"You okay?" He asked after a good twenty-five minutes of just holding me close.

I knew, if I opened my mouth, more sobs would erupt, so I simply kept it shut and nodded, holding the tissue very close to my eyes in case a tear decided to make its presence known.I definitely looked like the perfect damsel in distress, plus the curly hair in a bun, and minus the utmost elegance.

"It'll be okay, Ari, you'll get to see them at the wedding."

I heard what sounded like a snort, and glanced around the plane, hoping to catch the origin of the sound.

It's you, idiot.

I quickly coughed and nodded, so he wouldn't catch on to the noise I had produced. What the hell was wrong with me? This is all I ever wanted, to finally meet the man of my dreams and get married.

Getting married - check.

Man of your dreams - unchecked.

'Ugh, is there a way to turn down that annoying voice in my head?'

Nope! You're stuck with me!

I slowly pulled away from his arms and leaned back. He wore that smile that yelled 'I know you want to marry me' and I knew that if I didn't get out of there illico presto, I'd barf on him, and then, he'd be very angry.

"Yeah... marriage..." I laughed nervously, "Um... I need to use the bathroom." I quickly unbuckled and pushed myself out of the seat. The plane was moving at a steady pace so I bolted down the lane with ease and locked myself into the minuscule bathroom.

I stared right at my reflection and ran a hand over my curly hair, arranged in a bun. I didn't look as bad as I thought I did, which was good. The creature in front of me, aka me, wore a white open knit jumper, a pair of vintage boyfriend jeans and a rhinestone watch from buckle. My feet were protected by a good ole' pair of white vans, which I know Nathan didn't like much. He would have probably fancied me if I stepped into the plane wearing twenty-inch heels. Overall, it was clear that I was a comfort over style girl, especially when traveling.

I washed my face and pointed an accusing finger at the woman behind the mirror.

"You love Nathan!" I hissed at her.

No.

"I said you love Nathan, so quit arguing."

This isn't what love feels like, and you know it damn well.

"Oh, please. What do you know about love?"

You were once in lov-

"Hello? Are you okay? Is somebody in there?" A voice called out from behind the door, making me jump out of my skin.

"Ouch!"

"Ma'am? Are you okay? We're going to start landing soon," the voice called out.

I slowly opened the door, rubbing one side of my head in pain and forced a smile. "Thank you," I muttered before going to my seat. The steward smiled back, although I could see that he was concerned – probably about my mental state.