Chapter 26

Chapter 26: The Traitor

     "Well, I think we could have a few guards train with some of the hydro and solar people at the power section. Move some of them at solar just in case of attack, and so they know how to handle and control of. Have them mostly go out with hydro for extra precautions. That was too close of a call yesterday." Bow nodded at Sunny's idea.
     "That's smart. I like it-"
     "How about this!" Some man ran up with short dark hair and crazy brown eyes. He held a knife  as he ran at Sunny. He held it like a maniac and only looked straight at her. Then, just as suddenly as that man showed up, Tank rammed his body into the side of a building. The tall man held the short wanna-be attacker by. The throat and gave him one hell of a death glare. The smaller guy in the guard's grip dropped his weapon and possibly wet his pants. Tanks looked at the two of them. She was shocked but tried not to show it, and Bow gave him a nod.
     "That was the last straw, sir. Now you are here by exiled from EastHaven and never to return." Now holding the maniac by the back of the neck and his bicep, Tank started to carry and sorta drag him towards the gate. She watched from where she stood. They opened the gates and simply threw him out. After they were closed Tank started walking back, possibly to talk to whatever family and friends he had.
But she knew, the man who was thrown out, was a traitor.

The smell of fuel was thick and sickening.
Sunny mindlessly ran toward the danger of the fire. Toward the possibility she may never see her son again. The smoke grew thicker and the fire hotter as she got closer to the door.
     "Carl! Carl! Keira?" She shouted.
Sunny had let the strap of her quiver slide from her shoulders along with her bow before she got to the door.
"Carl! Carl!" She called pounding on the door. "Carl?"
The bastards who set the fire had done their job and left. They didn't even care enough to stay and kill anyone escaping.

Someone was shouting at Sunny, 'don't do it'. Their attempts failed horribly since Sunny couldn't hear anything other than the crackle of the fire and the pounding of her heart. If she was in her right state of mind other than in panic, Sunny would have known not to introduce any more air. She would have known that the sudden introduction of a large supply of oxygen would file the fire to its max. But she didn't know, she didn't think. No, Sunny was in complete inner turmoil. A mother, a protector, failing at their job. Or so she convinced herself. Running out of options Sunny picked the choice she should have known not to.
     "Carl I'm coming!" She shouted, before kicking the door in.
And that was her mistake. The flames jumped at the sudden rush of air, exploding in a way. The force violently threw Sunny back. She could hardly even take in a breath as her body slammed into the ground. When she finally lay still, Sunny was barely able to choke out four words as black engulfed her vision.
"I'm coming...." She wheezed.
Again someone was calling her name as a blurry figure rushed over to her. Sunny could hardly make out the color of his eyes.
"... I'm... Coming."

With those two words, someone started to shake her. But everything turned white.

--

Eugene tried to struggle against the man who had saved him. But each time he tried the burns on his arm would bump against the man's neck. Shooting pain directly followed.

She couldn't be gone..
She just couldn't.
That meant they had to go back for her.

     "Eugene. Just stop." The man told him. He held the shorter man's arm over his shoulder. Half helping him walk and half making sure he wouldn't get himself killed. He pulled the two into an empty room, losing his temper and shoving the burned man toward the bed.
"For fuck's sake Eugene knock it off."
Eugene had been so caught up in trying to go back for Kiera, he hadn't noticed all the familiarities of the man who saved him. So his eyes widened and mouth opened slightly.
There Abraham Ford's large frame blocked the doorway. A storm of rage and something else flashed in his eyes. Slowly, Eugene sat down on the bed. He lowered his head, looking at the necklace chain in his hand. Two silver promise rings lay in his hand. One attached to the chain, the other by itself. He remembered she wore the one with the word 'courage' around her thumb. The second said 'Trust'. She had explained to him once that her parents had had rings like this. She had wanted courage, and to find someone to trust. Somehow she had found that in him. Somehow, she had seen both.