VII. After Midnight

"'Tis not possible," Seva said softly, sitting down hard when Ardashir revealed what he had seen on Lord Gray's finger. Holland caught the faint wound of betrayal in her eyes along with disbelief, but they were flickers behind the mask. The queen still didn't look recovered from her fear for the penitent as well. "He is more than an ally—he is a friend."

"Lord Gray adores Her Majesty," Cadeyrn confirmed. "And he has far more reason to back her than His Majesty."

"Those creatures seemed more set on reaching the King than the Queen," Vladan rumbled. "Holland said the one she killed was making a beeline for him."

"It's entirely possible that Laenus misled Lord Gray into believing he would help solve the problem of the King's...well, I'm certain I need not draw excessive attention to the elephant in the room," Lieren said calmly. It wasn't as though she was going out of her way to inflict pain on Seva by bringing up the King's infidelity publicly. The elf just didn't particularly care one way or the other about the queen's feelings. "A risky proposition to solve an embarrassing problem. Laenus likely intended to use him to link it back to the queen. The outcry would inevitably end in the civil war he so desires."

"Only one way to find out. Her Majesty needs to talk to Lord Gray." Lord Cadeyrn's voice was certain. "I know Ronan. He has his faults, but he is not a liar."

"Agreed," Ardashir said. It was strange to speak up on behalf of the man his wife had left him for, but for all the disrespect Gray had always shown him, he was still an honest man. Nor did Ronan have the temperament of demon-kith. He wasn't particularly power-hungry. A glory-hound, certainly, but that was the nature of many nobles. "He wouldn't lie to you, Your Majesty."

Seva closed her eyes for a moment, gathering together what was left of her inner strength. She was exhausted and thoroughly unhappy with the situation. "Tomorrow. He will linger for a few days," the queen said. Her shoulders were no longer squared. "I will speak with him tomorrow, and not before."

"Of course, Your Majesty," Cadeyrn said respectfully. He could tell that Seva was ready for some time alone in the library, or perhaps in her own room. "We can reconvene after that is accomplished. Would you permit me to escort you to your quarters?"

Seva shook her head. "I have a matter I wish to consult the books regarding," she said. "I will retire in an hour or two. Thy offer is appreciated, but declined."

"I can stay," Holland said quietly. She didn't want to leave Seva alone with the troubled thoughts she could see stirring behind the cracked mask. The demons would likely be regrouping and trying to deal with their losses and this part of the palace was much easier for the king's men to guard without the crowds of people. An assassination attempt wasn't the penitent's primary concern.

"Get thee to bed," Seva said sharply. "Thou art covered in blood and nowhere near recovered. I do not require a nursemaid."

Everyone in the room was a little bit surprised to hear the snap at Holland. Even Lieren raised an eyebrow. Holland didn't take it to heart. If she had been in Seva's position, she would have been far less kind about expressing her own frustration and displeasure. "Of course, my lady," the penitent said respectfully. "You know where to find me if you change your mind."

The little group filtered out of the library to leave Seva in peace, splitting off to go their separate ways. Holland lingered near the door that had closed behind her for a moment. She knew she needed to take a bath and change before going to bed, but she couldn't extinguish the worry. However, she knew her presence wasn't wanted and that there was little she could do to ease things. She hated not being able to offer whatever meager comfort she could give.