Going Home

Three days passed after the call from Mrs Watson. Detective Warner and Bobby still had no clue about who the killer was. They thought about it day and night, but nothing came out of it. There was just too little evidence. 

That night, after pondering about it the whole day, Detective Warner drove home in his grey sedan. As he was turning into the driveway of his house, the sound of a gunshot pierced through the air, and into his ears. He stopped the car and walked towards the source of the sound. A car drove past him as he walked through the neighbourhood. Something lying on the pavement caught his attention. The dead body of a middle-aged man lay on the ground. 

"Bobby, there's been another killing. Come to Street 22."

A woman's voice called out, "George? George where are you?"

Detective Warner said loudly, "Do you recognise this man, miss?"

The woman hurried over and took a look at the dead body. She screamed piercingly and collapsed into tears. She cried out, "George! Why, George?" 

Detective Warner took a closer look at the body. There was a gunshot wound on his back. Beside his body, there was a big number 9 in red paint. At this time, Bobby arrived. 

"Mr Warner, what happ-"

Bobby stood stunned. Meanwhile, Detective Warner started interrogating the woman.

"I am Detective Warner. My partner and I are investigating the murder of another woman and we suspect these two crimes are related. You are?"

"Mrs Sommers, wife of George. Why..."

"Mrs Sommers, please calm down. Please tell me about Mr Sommers."

"I married him in the summer of 1998, and now he's gone... He works as a bank teller at Starling Bank. Detective, you have to find out who the killer is. I will never forgive him until my dying day..."

"Did he have any connections with the number 1 or 9?"

"Not that I remember..."

Detective Warner and Bobby looked around. Again, there was no other evidence. Just a body and a number 9. Almost the same as the last killing. The two victims both worked at Starling Bank, but there was nothing much to go from there. Who was this killer? How could Detective Warner stop him?

Note: Next part will come in a week or So, So Please stay tuned!