Chapter V

Mom was watching the news when I got home. The story about the Orlando shooting was on, whereby gays were killed during a homophobic shooting in a gay club.

"How can people be so cruel, gay or lesbian the fact remains they still our fellow human beings."
"You should've seen Sipho today he was so bruised. If USA was a few kilometers away I'd say he was there."
"Who's Sipho?"
"The gay guy at work I told you about mom. Are you getting old or you just don't listen to me?"

My mom rolled her eyes at me. She always says if I'm not moody I'm rude or just sarcastic.

"So what happened to him?" She asked handing me a plate full of spaghetti and mince.
"I have no clue, but he looked bad ma. He reminded of uncle Thabo's wife when she came running here after he beat her up."
Yea that's the person Sip reminded me of earlier. Those bruises are not the kind you get in an accident, you can only get a blue eye from being hit.
"Why didn't you ask him what. . ."

My phone started to ring, cutting my mom off. It was Dan so I answered and made my way to my room so I can speak freely without mom eavesdropping.

"Guess who's coming home this weekend"
"Really babe!?" His announcement made me so happy.
The last time I saw him was a month back and that was the last time I've been kissed.
"Yea and I can't wait to see my beautiful girlfriend"
"She can't wait to see you too"

We spoke a little longer. By the time I got off the phone my food was cold, but I was too excited to eat anyway.
My baby is coming home!!!

The week seemed to be going by too slow. Finally Friday came. I woke up earlier than usual so I can get ready not just for work but for my man's arrival later.
I grabbed my hair removal cream along with my usual cosmetics. A girl who shaves in the morning is either planning to wear something short or she's planning to get some, and I wasn't wearing anything short.

Natalie was waiting for me at the coffee shop, our newfound spot. She had her back to me, paying for our coffee. With a booty such as hers it was easy to spot her in the crowded shop. I stood by the entrance waiting for her to come out so we can start walking to work, there was no time to sit in the cafe.
"I see we are ready for our sleep over" she said looking at my big bag. I switched my usual handbag for an overnight bag.
"Like can't you make the time go faster?"I asked dramatically.
"The drought was creeping in, thank God you'll be blessed tonight"
We continued to laugh and talk like this until we got to work.

Turns out Natalie and I are not so different. Although we haven't known each other that long she's the only one I can call a friend at work. Besides being easy going and fun, she's the kind of person who makes it easy to talk and confide in. So by now she knew everything about Dan and Mr Bus. I didn't know his name so that's our pseudonym for him.

Mr Bus and I spent the past week sitting together. His friend didn't even bother joining us anymore, he must have felt like the third wheel. Our interactions were extraordinary. We talked about everything under the sun.
Apparently he doesn't have a girlfriend, he wants to be a model, he's in the motor vehicle business and he's an aggressive investor.
I got to know all that and more in just a week. All of that except his name. I made a mental note to ask him and got to work.

Sip hasn't pitched for work since Monday. Rumour has it that it's not the first time he has just disappeared without a word.
"He's still here only because Mr Modise is friends with his father."
I heard Nozipho tell her entourage, whom Sip refers to as 'team nosey'.
He said they make it their business to know everything in the office apart from their job requirements. I'm starting to see what he meant. One being a receptionist, two in HR and one lady being Mr Modise's PA it's no wonder they know and gossip about everything that goes down at Modise & co.
I should've asked for Sip's number, now I have no way of checking on him.
A text message pulls me back from eavesdropping on the gossiping squad.
*I can't come home for the weekend. Love D*
After reading this text for the third time my surroundings began to blur. The tears that had gathered were fucking with my vision. I hurried to the bathroom before attracting unwanted attention. I locked myself in the cubicle and let the tears flow, but not too much, don't wanna go out there with red eyes.

"So I didn't deserve a phone call.
An explanation would have been nice.
Maybe he's got better things to do.
Or he's doing someone better tonight."

I felt the lump thickening in my throat; anger, disappointment and disbelief pushing the tears to the surface again.

"He wouldn't let me down purposely.
He would come if he could.
He wouldn't intentionally hurt me."

Forcing myself to think and believe the latter kept the tears at bay, even if it was just temporary. I just needed to be composed for the next couple of hours, if it meant lying to myself, so be it. I can always cry when I get home.

My changed mood wasn't noticed by anyone but I couldn't fool Natalie. I just had to tell her everything. Being the darling that she is, she insisted on us getting ice cream.
"Nothing soothes a broken heart better than a creamy,sweet chocolate ice cream." She said.
"You know what's the saddest part?"
Natalie looked at me with concern.
"I won't be getting some tonight"
we laughed so loud people in the ice cream parlour turned their heads.

(Author: I think it's time to take it up a notch. More Romance or more Drama?? I'm not sure. All I can say is keep reading, it's about to go down!!! ;-)
Please don't be shy to vote and comment)