Chapter VIII

*Are you in the bus?can't see you*
WhatsApp text from Ben- 5:10 p.m.

Got home early, meaning I have to make dinner. I stand in front of the freezer undecided for some time before finally taking out a box of fish. I was about to grab a pack of frozen chips but then I remembered I had chips yesterday. Even though I'm not one of those careful eaters or watching my figure, I know that too much of anything isn't good.
So fried rice, baked fish and green salad is served.

*I'm outside*
WhatsApp message from Ben- 9:00 p.m.
6 missed calls from him.
He doesn't stop calling so I just put my phone on silent mode.

Before bed I read The Power of a Praying Woman, got the book for mom last christmas. Hoped it would lift my spirits but drifted into sleep still feeling like crap.

"That boy is back" I'm not sure if it's a question or a statement.
"What boy ma?"
"The one with the car."

I'm still a bit confused. I can only start thinking fast after my caffeine fix.

"Just look outside the window"
I rush to the window and sure enough there was the blue BMW parked exactly where it had parked on Saturday.
"I don't like this Tammy, I don't like this one bit"

If you linger in here any second longer you'll miss your bus.

"Shit!" I curse when I crash into his hard chest.
Ben is in the doorway, blocking my way as I try to rush for my bus. He's got a crazy look in his eyes. The next thing I know he's lifted me off the ground, carrying me to his car. It all happened so fast.

"Move to the other side!" He orders after throwing me into the driver's seat.
I don't take orders but something in his voice made me move fast.

"And don't think of getting out, you won't get far"

He fastened his seatbelt, looking to me to do the same before putting the car in motion.

Who the fuck did I get myself involved with? He looks like Ben but it can't be him. The Ben I know won't be so rough with me, but then again can you really know a person in just a month and two weeks.

"Answer your phone"
I was so shocked I think my system shut down, even my hearing was off.

"Mom. .Yes I'm fine. .okay"

"Mommy worried about little Mimi" he remarked. The Ben I know breaking through, but still I felt uneasy.
"Where are you taking me?"
The panic in my voice seemed to pull at his heart.
"Tammy. . ."
He touched my thigh and held the steering wheel with one hand.
. .I didn't mean to scare you."
He looked at me, I nodded and he continued.
"I was just frustrated. You weren't answering my calls or texts. And I knew you wouldn't get in the car if I asked you."
He was right, I wasn't gonna get in this damn car.
"I'm taking you to work" he finally answered my question. "but I need to shower first. It's no fun sleeping in the car" he made a face.

Who told your dumb ass to wait all night outside my yard, creep

I opened my mouth to talk but he held up his hand.
"Before you say or ask me anything allow me tell you a story first."
I full bodily turned in my seat to give him all my attention.
He chuckled at my curious expression. Slightly brushing my thigh once more, his hand moved back to the steering wheel.
"Over breakfast Mimi, over breakfast"

We got to Orchards in no time. His home looked so beautiful, like most houses in the suburbs.
He parked the car just outside the garage.

"You live here?"
"Yea"
"So why have you been travelling in our bus to Mabopane?" I was a little baffled.
"My friends live there, we were working on something and my car was being serviced."
I was about to continue with the interrogation but he wasn't having it.