Chapter 9

Kimmy's PoV

Re-stacking the cupcake racks, I can't help but throw glances over at the old rose table. I frown seeing how the other girl seems to not have been enjoying her time with her friends, Liam and Sophia.

I know it's not polite to stare and all, but it's not like I'm eavesdropping, which is so much worse -- I wonder what's happening? What are they talking about? And most importantly, why is Ronnie rolling her eyes to the ends of the earth every five seconds?

I abruptly turn my eyes away when Ronnie catches me and pretend that I didn't mean to look their way.

I counted to ten and slowly look again, to my surprise, Ronnie is still looking at me. I smile at her, sort of apologetically.

"Help me." She mouths.

I frown in confusion, and she moves her eyes from me and to the couple next to her, and back to me again.

I faintly smile as I jerk my head towards the stairs up to the lounge and she smiles thankfully. I put my tray under the counter and move to remove my apron.

Ronnie excuses herself from her table and practically runs to where I'm waiting for her.

"Oh my God, thank you, thank you!" She squeals cheerfully, running up the stairs.

I shake my head in amusement, she couldn't wait to get away from them? I chuckle as I, myself, take the steps.

"Bad day?" I ask the moment I see her, sitting on the windowsill with half of her body twisted as she looks out to the view.

"Could be the worst." She mumbles under her breath.

I take a shallow breath at the sound of her voice, it's different from before, I'm not good at describing emotions but I know the sound of pain when I hear it, and her voice is filled with it, that and so much irritation -- and now, my curiosity is at its limit.

"What happened?" I finally ask as I lean against the wall.

She turns to me a little startled and a little bit on edge, she's probably wondering why I was here and trying to get into her business with Liam and Sophia. She asked for my help, didn't she?

"Want to talk?" I offer intently when she returned a weak smile.

"Aren't you supposed to be working?" She fires at me as her eyes well with tears, clearly holding her emotions back.

Is she for real? Five seconds ago she was smiling at me and now this? Does she want to get slapped?

I smile proudly, "I'm the manager, aren't I?"

Ronnie flashes a forced smile, "Right."

I chuckle. "Well?"

"I hate her." She starts, still staring out the window. "You know, that girl with the guy I came in with, her name is--"

"Yeah, I know who she is." I interrupt.

"You do?" She asks, frowning as she turns to me.

I nod again. "Yes."

"How?"

I take a deep breath, "Well, you could say I'm a little well-acquianted with One Direction." I mumble softly, perhaps not wanting to freak her out?

She rolls her eyes in an instant. Don't make me pull your eyes out, girl. Jeez.

"Great, you're a fan. I should probably go." She says, probably thinking I just wanted her help for an autograph or something, seriously, what am I, twelve?