w o r d s

w o r d s (n)

a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed

Her first name is Grace. I do not know her last. She came in on her phone one day. She was speaking to a male voice.

"You're such a bloody arse," she spat.

"Come on, Gracie. I-"

"Don't call me that."

I think the speaker on the other side huffed. Or maybe it was a sharp intake of breath from her harsh voice. There was a silence.

"Fine, Grace. I tried explaining but you obviously don't want to listen."

"What's there to listen to? You goddamn cheated on me."

"It was a mistake."

"Don't you dare even try going there. It's complete bollocks and you know it."

He sighed. "Well, I think we both know where this is going."

By his tone, I could almost predict what he was going to say next. And Grace visibly could too. Her face contorted into one of worry as she tried to take back her words. It was devastating to watch.

"Wait, Will. No. I'm sorry. I was just frustrated. We always make up. Right? I understand. We-"

"We're done."

And he ended the phone call. Grace stared into her phone, and then into me. She looked at her eyes, her lips, her nose, her eyebrows. She took in a deep, staggered breath."He doesn't want that face," she whispered to herself. "No-one wants that ugly face."

And
this time,
the tears
fell.