ramblings of grief

i. when i close my eyes, it is almost like i can convince myself that you're still here. i feel your breath in my ear as you whisper of your love with a voice like honey. your arms snake around my waist and i am so damn sure you'll never let go.

ii. forever. i never believed in fairytale endings. cinderella was just a story. but when i heard forever roll off your tongue it was so easy to believe. for the first time happily ever after felt like it was in reach but now you've gone and taken my naivety as a souvenir of what you destroyed.

ihateyou. ihateyou. i h a t e y o u.

iii. come back. come back. come back. do you know how hard it is to sleep in a bed you'll never return to? i promise to cut back on the cigarettes if you just sleep by my side for one more night because i know you always hated the smell of smoke and i hate staring at the vacant space where your body used to be.

iv. my stomach threatens to heave at the sound of your name but considering i haven't touched food in days, i don't know that it even matters. the truth is i can't imagine a life without you but now i have to live it and my chest tightens at the thought of that. i am drowning in a lack of y o u and i don't think i'll ever be able to surface for air.

v. i went to work for the first time since you left. when i looked at your desk my heart still skipped a beat but tears didn't sting my eyes so i guess it's getting better. the spaces between my fingers feel so empty without your hand in mine but i can finally take a breath without it hitching in my throat. i know i won't move on but i'm starting to think i will be o k a y.