Chapter 9

Stirring out of a deep sleep, I become aware of a warm spot on the side of my chest. With a little effort, I open my eyes. I'm met with locks of deep brown that trail far beyond their starting point. My hand has a faint pins-and-needles feeling from the head that's surely been lying on my upper arm for a while. I stretch as best as I can without disturbing the body beside me. I realize it's a failed attempt when I look back over to grass-hued eyes. It causes a sensation throughout me that, if I didn't know better, I would assume was my heart stopping. Last night feels like a dream and if she had never just looked at me, nobody could ever convince me Lex was laying next to me right now.

Lex sits up and stretches, all in the same motion. The blanket slides off us both. Her hair lays free form with a couple tangles down the back of a black tank top. My eyes are fixed on her. I'm not sure I could pry them away if I tried. I fear that if I look away, she'll disappear, like she's a figment of my imagination. Maybe I've finally gone off my rocker.

She turns her body around to face me, crossing her cookie-monster covered legs and speaking softly, "Morning."

"Good Mornin'," My voice is husky from just waking up.

I lift myself into a sitting position, leaning against the headboard. We lock in gazes that are screaming to say something, but nothing comes out. She averts her attention to her hair. Pulling it to one side, she runs her fingers through it slowly, but with a certain determination. It seems more of a distraction than a real want to untangle her hair. Months of barely any conversation and neither of us can say anything once we're right in front of each other.

"Come here," I open a space between my legs and motion her over.

As she positions herself, I reach into my side table and grab the brush and one of the many hair ties she put in there. With her back now to me, I pull all of her hair behind her, my fingers brushing her neck, and comb carefully through it. The hand resting on my knee has half of my attention. I try to ignore it, but she's warm and I've missed the familiarity of it. It's like the comforting feeling of having your pillow back after leaving it at a friend's house or rereading your favorite part of your favorite book. With the snarls gone, I slip the hair tie on my wrist. My fingers section off some hair on the top of her head, splitting it into three. I twist and weave them with continuing sections down her head until I run out of hair and twist what I have down to her lower back. When I finish the braid, I tie it off at the end and lay it over her shoulder.

"Thank you," Her voice is just as soft as before.

I nod, despite knowing she's facing the opposite direction.

She moves quietly and gracefully, like a cat, back into her previous spot. I've gathered the courage to speak and am deciding what to do with is as I open my mouth. I can ask her anything now. Why did she do it, why didn't she let me help her get through it? Or maybe....I told her I loved her. Neither of us has acknowledged that, yet. But before I can ever say a word, she stops me.

"I don't want to talk about it just yet. Just let me enjoy the morning. I'm just happy to see you again. I'm tired, Finn, exhausted," Her tone is run down and she drags the word out as she says 'exhausted'. "Let me forget about it until lunch."

Somewhere deep down, I want to protest, but I don't. I can wait until later to ask my questions. I'll just enjoy her presence for the morning and be happy she's here at all. She's not going anywhere. Right?

"Okay."

She waits a few seconds, before settling and changing the topic with a grin, "So, happy late birthday, Mr. Adult."

I smile at the joke of a nickname, "Thanks."

"Sorry I didn't get you anything," Lex throws her hands up in an 'oops', but her smile grows bigger as if it's meant to be a joke. "And don't say the necklace, because it's a pretty lousy gift."