Chapter Three

Naya was told to wait in the forest skirting the road while the guard scouted around. She still didn't know his name, and she knew she shouldn't trust him, but for whatever reason, she did. She had a feeling this boy wouldn't abandon her, because, for him, it would be abandoning his honour, as well as whatever debt he was avenging. Naya didn't even know the young guard's name, but she trusted him to not only keep her alive, but to break the law for her.

     It was a foolish choice, and she understood that.

     Nevertheless, the guard was Naya's only choice. Night had fallen, and a hoard of palace guards was still pacing in between her and the Brick Road. The stragglers who had been waiting it out on the path had long left, and now the road was empty but for the guards.

     Soon enough, the young boy returned to the forest where Naya stood behind a large tree, his hazel eyes shining sickly under the glare of the crescent moon. He was scared, that was clear, but his jaw was set under the full-faced mask. This boy wouldn't back out.

     "We need to go now," he huffed, out of breath from jogging up to her. She nodded, following him out of the tree cover with a lowered head. If they were caught, they'd each be in deep trouble, but Naya knew the punishment would be lighter if she appeared a weak, innocent civilian. 

     Even with her eyes focused on the rough ground, Naya picked up certain aspects of the route they were on. They'd crossed the main entry way, entering the forest on the other side, and were heading parallel to the Brick Road. It wasn't the way Naya had wanted to go, but she didn't dare protest, both because she knew not a sound could be made to attract the other guards, but also because she didn't want to stress the boy any more. He seemed to be concentrating hard, and it appeared difficult for him. Naya guessed he wasn't the type of boy who usually got into trouble. 

     Coming to a clearing in the forest, the guard stopped in front of Naya, holding his thin arm out to halt her. She saw the dark figure on the path ahead of them long before he did, but again, didn't say anything. She had to be a normal street girl to him. Nothing special, or she'd attract attention.

     With Naya standing calmly beside him, the guard checked both sides of the narrow path in front of them, began to step into the open, Naya all the while panicking, until he noticed the figure a second too late. 

     The silhouette froze in its tracks as it saw the guard's startled face. Naya couldn't make out a single feature of the stranger - couldn't even tell if it was a man or a woman. She decided it didn't much matter, as the young guard reached for his bow. Naya put a hand on his forearm and leaned closer, so she was whispering into his ear. "Guards will see the blood."

     The boy leaned just as close to her, not wanting to be heard. "We don't have a choice."

     Naya didn't reply, but she nodded. She needed to get into the palace, but she certainly wouldn't let this guard do something the boy would regret.

     Just as the guard drew an arrow from his quiver and notched it, Naya stepped right in front of him into the road. She heard the choked gasp from behind her as the guard looked up from his work, noticing her bold move. Naya also noticed the silhouette cock it's head to the side, either confused or intrigued, maybe both. 

     Breath after breath, Naya walked straight up to the dark figure, and unsurprisingly, it let her. I was right. Naya didn't want to see what face was under that dark hood, but she knew she had to be sure.

     Naya was standing directly in front of the person, though she still couldn't see it's face. She didn't need to see it to know who it was. She didn't need to see it's eyes to know that this person wouldn't hurt her. So Naya knew without a doubt that when she reached up and yanked on the black hood, it would be Alan's face bathed in shadows.