struggles

Maine could hear Rj's loud growls from inside his room. He seemed distressed about something.

"Sige na anak, pumasok ka na...kanina pa ganyan yan e...." Tita Cherry said.

"Okay po, Tita..."

"Jay?...." Maine said softly as she entered the room.

Rj was on his bed, arms and legs flailing as Geb tried to calm him down. She was at the foot of his bed, holding his feet. She nodded at Maine to acknowledge her presence.

Maine approached Rj's bedside and took his hand. He was stiffening up a bit so she stroked his arm slowly, saying his name repeatedly and quietly. In a few minutes, he seemed to calm down. He was still grunting but he thrashed less. He relaxed enough for Geb to let go of his legs.

"Asus....si Maine lang pala ang kailangan e....pahirapan ba ako, Tisoy?" Geb said as she picked up the pillows and blanket that fell to the floor. She proceeded to tidy things up around the room as Maine pulled up a chair beside the bed and "chatted" with him.

Rj was more attentive now, 8 months after his accident. He sat up in his wheelchair or bed and would take 3 or 4 steps when assisted. He "communicated" more by looking at the things he wanted and trying to lift his arm and hand to point.

He was like a toddler learning everything for the first time. Maine patiently stayed by his side during the long therapy sessions which he hated. Everytime he would see Lani, his therapist, come to their house, he would scream and cry. Maine calmed him down and together, they would complete the session. Rj was more responsive whenever Maine was with him.

Like a child once again, Rj suffered from bouts of separation anxiety whenever Maine had to go home. After several days of leaving him tearful at the end of her visits, Maine made it a point that he was asleep by the time she left his house.

"O, ano? Suko ka na?" Donna once asked when they got home from Rj's house and Maine plopped on the sofa in tears.

"........"

"Diba ginusto mo 'to?"

"Ang hirap...."

"Mahirap talaga....yan ang buhay naming mga care giver....."

"Kaya hanga ako sa inyo ni Geb...ang galing nyo! Biruin nyo, pakikisamahan at aalagaan nyo ang di nyo kaanu-ano...."

"Yes...ganun e...but I love what I'm doing....that, to me, is the most important thing..."

"Thank you, Dons...."

"Para saan?"

"...sa lahat ng sakripisyo mo for me...." Maine gave Donna a tight hug.