New beginnings

Maine regained use of her legs and was out of the hospital after 2 months of confinement and regular therapy. She would still visit the hospital for her therapies and was now regaining her strength and happy personality.

She had to relearn almost everything but she was determined to return to her old self. Through all the difficult therapy sessions, Rj was there while most of her therapists, nurses and caregivers gave up on her due to her foul personality. He encouraged her and would just shrug off all her snarky remarks. He kept quiet when she was having a bad mood and just continued with his job without being affected by her negativity.

She had also gained a fondness for Rj.  She tried not to show it but everyone in the therapy room could sense it.  She was less grumpy and more active.  She willingly participated in her therapy sessions and would hang out in the place long after her sessions were done.

Months later, Maine was back to her normal self. She was now able to walk on her own and regained full function of her body.  The only difference now was that her family insisted that she had a companion with her at all times.

She had mini-seizures due to the damage to her nerves and would space out for a couple of minutes. Her parents were afraid that these episodes would occur when she was alone so they wanted to make sure that she was taken cared of well. Now, Donna was her constant companion. Donna was a caregiver who eventually became a close friend.

"Meng...phone call...." Donna said one evening while preparing dinner at Maine's condo.

"Sino daw?" Maine asked.

Donna shrugged her shoulders as she handed the phone to Maine.

"..h...hello?...."

"...uhhh...hello?....eto po ba si Maine....Maine Mendoza?...." the caller said.

"...Opo....This is Maine Mendoza....how may I help you?"

"...Uhh....Ms. Mendoza....may kakilala po ba kayong Faulkerson?....."

"...sino po?...." Maine asked.

"....Faulkerson....Richard Faulkerson....."

"...huh..?"

"...Richard Faulkerson....Rj....Rj Faulkerson...."

Maine searched her brain. The name sounded familiar.

"...Rj po?....bakit po?...."

"...uhhh....kasi may iniwan po sya.....para po ata sa inyo ito...."

Maine talked to the caller for a while then hung up.

Donna approached her as she set the table for dinner.

"Huy....anong nangyari sa yo?....sino yon?"

"...huh...ah...."

"...ano? masama ba pakiramdam mo?...."

Donna observed Maine for signs of stress that might lead to a seizure. She reached for the emergency kit they had on the dining table, ready for whatever happened.

"...hindi...okay lang ako...."

"....sure ka?...."

"...oo...sure....kain na tayo...."

"...okay...." Donna sat down and they started to eat.

Maine still had a distant look on her face. She seemed bothered by something.

"....sure ka talaga ha?..." Donna asked again.

"...huh?..."

"....hello? earth to Maine....okay ka lang? gusto mong lumabas after dinner? pahangin? ganon?"

"....hmm..."

"....anong hmmm?...."

"....huh....wala....hindi.....okay lang ako....."

"...ay ewan ko sa yo...." Donna said as she stood up to clear the table.