The Royal Mistake - Chapter Three

Three

Lazily I pull myself out of Kianna’s bed. That was one of the most amazing sleeps I have ever had, who knew that Kianna’s bed was so comfortable. I wonder why she was so grumpy all the time. I stretch like a cat and wince as my back cracks but instantly forget about it when I look out the window. I smile, the sun is high in the sky, the trees are green. The pasture is wide and open with a couple horses grazing.

      I grab a silk robe that is perched on the back of the door and walk out onto the deck and watch as six horses eat their breakfast and one particular horse catches my eye. It’s black as night, and its main matches its fur. Where have I seen it before?

      I close my eyes. What did I do last night? I can’t remember, all I remember is coming back from dinner with the king and queen. Did I go to sleep? I look down at my fingers and frown. There’s dirt under my nails, and the blood is still there, but, the band-aids are gone? Where’d I put them?

      I look back at the horse and the memory of what happened last night hits me. Images of last night fill my head, me riding the horses back, burying Kianna, the shadow.

      I run back into the room and out the door, not caring that i’m still in my pyjamas and robe. Well, hey, the pyjamas are comfortable, there silk shorts and a silk spaghetti strapped shirt. There both beige coloured. My hair is down, and for once not knotted. My bare feet slapping against the cold wooden floor. I run by an open door but stop and back up as I hear a conversation that scares me.

      “I’m telling you Natasha, there is something weird going on with Kianna.” I peek in the door. The king and queen are there. It’s like a chamber of converse with a big wooden round table, a crystal chandelier hanging over it. A picture of the queen is overlooking the room. Her face showing no obscurity, her dark blonde hair up in an elegant spiral on the top of her head with her big crown sitting in front of it, making her cold green eyes pop out even more. Her thin lips in the usual straight lipped look she always has. Her crown is gold and has a couple red jewels on it.

      The queen is sitting on a chair and looks at him. “I don’t know Harold. She seems perfectly fine to me.”

      Harold shakes his head and puts his hands on Natasha’s shoulders. “Did you really look at her in dinner? There is something wrong about her. Something different.”

      Oh gees, I didn’t even think about if the king would recognize something different about his beloved daughter, I was too concerned about the mother but obviously it’s the king I have sway.

      Natasha gets up and glares at him, something both her and Kianna shared. “There is nothing different about our daughter!”

      He just shakes his head and looks over. I dodge behind the closed part of the door but not before he sees me. “Kianna?”

      I slowly look stand back up again and open the door. “Hi, father,” I nod towards each of them, “mother.”