Chapter 13: Regrets - Part I

I woke up and rolled over in the bed. I was cold, I realised and my arm stretched out searching for warmth… no, searching for him. My fingers met empty sheets and my eyes flew open in shock. It was morning; that much I gathered from the light streaming in through my windows.

“Cedric?” I asked, sitting up. He was gone? Good, thought a small voice in my head, but another one, slightly louder hissed, why? I glanced around – I couldn’t see him anywhere, and I doubted he was hiding. I glanced towards the bathroom door where I could see the damaged lock. Flashes of last night flew through me and I felt anger and indignation rise up inside me, dark thoughts rearing their ugly heads.

How dare he? I thought, how dare Linfor think he could get that from me. I threw myself back onto the pillows, glaring up at ceiling. I was furious. I was restless. I wanted to get up and move. I didn’t like this, being cooped up with nothing to do. I wanted to be out there fighting, fleeing; killing… there was a tiny knock at the door and Nina entered, looking slightly fearful as she saw my furious face. I quickly shut down the anger – there was no good in taking it out on her.

“Where’s Cedric?” I asked, trying to sound nonchalant. I shouldn’t care where he was, but there it was, like an insect in the room that refused to disappear out the window. A small part of me who did care.

“He was called away by the king,” Nina said softly, her voice barely a whisper, “He… he didn’t want to wake you… and… and… also, the king wants you to see him in the courtyard… I’ll lead you there…” she broke off as my eyes widened in shock and the barely supressed anger.

“You mean Soldin took him?” I growled… that meant… Cedric’s execution had been scheduled for today... yes, Soldin had told me. Soldin was going to kill him. He was going to die. Let him die. That nasty voice breathed, like a whisper of wind, let him… he was only trouble… you don’t care for him… Faeri…

I should just let him die. Every shred of my logic told me to let it happen. I knew it was the right thing to do; turn my back on the Faeri, my enemy, and move to escape from this place alone.

He cares for you, though. Another voice piped up, he would try to save you. You know he would. I gripped my hair in my fingers, wishing I could tear the thoughts from me. My mind took a split second for the second voice to take over, ruling everything. How I wished I could scour my thoughts of Cedric from my head, like one removed a stain from a cloth. But he was a dark red that stained the white surface of my psyche, and I knew it was too late for that. I climbed out of bed, sending sheets flying. I had to try. I couldn’t let Soldin kill him… I hurried from the room, bare feet slapping the ground quickly, but not as fast as my heart was beating. I was through my broken door with three leaps, and sprinting down the hall as if I had an army after me.

“Miss!” Nina called after me, her tiny voice bouncing along the stone walls, “Miss! You must come back and get changed! You can’t be seen like this!” I ignored her, as bad as I felt for it. I had no time to stop and apologize. I had no time for anything. They wouldn’t kill Cedric, I wouldn’t let them. I passed by a window as a loud cheer went up and slowed to a stop, listening. The cheering continued and I backtracked, glancing outside. The courtyard below was wide and beautiful, except for the ugly contraption in the centre on a small stage. The area was crowded with people, women, men and children alike, all waiting expectantly. I had always hated public executions. It brought out the worst in people; those who seemed to be the most benevolent, would turn into the wildly bloodthirsty. I thought back to when I had been waiting in turn for my own… I shuddered.

A man dressed in black held a long pole with a razor sharp curved blade on the end. He wore a hood and mask made of cloth, covering his mouth, and leaving only his dark eyes visible. He stood beside the stone block, where a groove had been carved into it, for the victims head to sit. As he turned a shadow passed over his face, rendering it invisible. The executioner glanced up towards something I could not see and I heard Soldin’s voice ring out.