Chapter Two

The world is a pitiful place, a place that is set for self destruction. I hate living in the shadows of my own grief. My impatience for revenge heightening as the sun rises each day and sets at night. I remain here. Trapped and forgotten. I have seen many faces in my life time and spoke many tongues. I tried to make friends with the people that entered the forest in the past but each time I scared them off and had to prevent my secret from escaping the forest.

My first kill was hard, I remember him staring up at me pleadingly and I had thought about sparing him until he called me a monster, the kills after that became easy and eventually I stopped feeling remorse and I began to enjoy hearing my victims scream. I welcomed it. I guess the boy was right. I am a monster, but all monsters are different and I am nothing like the men that killed the love of my life.

The witch that cursed me a life of isolation had told me that when the moon is at its highest and brightest once again, I will be allowed my chance of revenge, she also told me that my revenge will have a twist. One that may prevent me from killing the people that destroyed my life. I had listened to her intently, until I decided that she was somewhat insane. Why wouldn't I avenge my beloveds death?

She told me that I would find a love again, by a girl with piercing blue eyes and hair as dark as the night. The witch stared into my eyes as she spoke, she told me I would know of my mate by looking into her eyes and touching her skin. The spark. That is what she called it, a spark, if I felt it then I'd know she's my mate.  The bigger question is do I even want a mate?

I shook my head as I came to my senses again, my eyes blinking at the forest ground before I looked up, I gasped at the sight in front of me. A girl, one that was holding a basket whilst wearing a red cloak skipped past me. She hadn't noticed me for she had been to engrossed in singing.

I stood up quietly and walked down a path that only I knew. I knew the woods better then anyone given the fact that I had been here for over a hundred years. I followed her silently as she sang along to a song that I was unfamiliar with. It sounded vulgar and I wasn't sure if I liked it. Humans had such an interesting music taste nowadays.

I cursed under my breath as a I stood on a twig. Her singing stopped and she glanced around nervously, I couldn't see her face and I found myself wanting to. Judging by her height she couldn't have been more then eight years old. I decided then that I was going to spare her, I wasn't that much of a beast.

"It was just an animal, it was just an animal." The girl whispered to herself, her hand clutching her chest, I chuckled lowly and the girls head snapped in my direction. I attempted to lean forward to see her eyes but she took off running. I followed after her, my steps more careful so she was unaware of me chasing her.

Suddenly she stopped at the edge of the forest and I stopped too, she glanced behind her and sighed in relief: she thought she was on her own now. She walked out of the woods and I kicked the dirt under my feet in anger, I hadn't had the chance to see what she looked like.

"Bella!" My head snapped up as I noticed an older looking woman storming towards the young girl. "What did your parents tell you about going through the woods? You know the rumours about it! It's not safe."

The young girl groaned and shoved the woman's hands away from her face. "Granny I'm fine! Mum said you were sick and I wanted to get to you as soon as possible, besides there's nothing in there!"

The older woman sighed and wrapped her arm around Bella's shoulder before she turned and guided her towards a cottage next to the woods. I stared until the door to the cottage closed and the sky turned dark before I shifted into my wolf and ran back through the forest, a howl escaping my lips.

.