2. Messaging Should Be Deleted

Sara

The chatter of people in high school is always music to my ears on a Monday morning. The sarcasm in that sentence is also off the charts.

"You look dreadful," my friend, Maya, states to me.

I send a glare in her direction before I slam my head back down on the lunch table. My tray of food in front of me is left untouched. Cafeteria food is some of the most disgusting stuff I've ever tasted. I give the lunchladies credit for wearing hairnets and keeping the kitchen as clean as they can; but come on, can we get some quality food in here? Not everyone has time to pack a lunch in the morning. Especially if it's a Monday morning after a lacrosse tourney.

"What happened to both of you?" Josh asks.

This time, Allie responds. "Shut up, will you?" I can feel her glaring at our tablemate.

"Geez. I was just asking."

"Well, you're asking is not appreciated."

Maya sighs. "They were at a lacrosse tournament all day Saturday. It must've worn them out."

The bell rings, signaling the end of lunch. I gather up my uneaten lunch, pull out a protein bar, and begin gnawing on it. Allie marches with me, looking like a zombie on Halloween. Her eyes are practically falling out of her head, and her feet are dragging. I'm slightly better, being that I'm used to Saturday tourneys, but Allie is beaten.

“Remind me next time that the beach will be much less labor intensive before I agree to go to a Saturday lacrosse tournament with you,” Allie grumbles.

“No problem,” I say, smiling.

By the final period, however, I'm feeling Allie's predicament. My eyes are having trouble staying open. I rest my head on the desk and try to tune out the teacher.

There's only 40 minutes left, Sara. You can make it. I say to myself. Then, you can sleep.

Attention, Tigers! This is your afternoon announcements. Pay attention for news on Friday's football game and Homecoming!”

My ears pick up the babbling coming over the P.A. I never liked the static tint it put on the voices, but I do enjoy listening to the news. I raise my head from my desk and try to focus my energy on listening.

For those of you planning on attending Friday's game, make sure to wear something cool! It's supposed to be a hot one with temperatures in the 80s and 90s. Don't let that stop you from cheering on our team as we fight our way to victory!”

Sometimes, though, the cheesy lines that those poor souls are forced to read really get on my nerves.

The Homecoming court will be officially presented at the Homecoming football game in one month. Please take the time to congratulate the whole court! Winners are now displayed on any bulletin board around campus. Now, while the Homecoming game is free for students, Homecoming costs $30 per person. Please sign up by the Friday before Homecoming. Let Ms. Walters in the front office know if you want to bring someone outside of the student population.”

One month to find a date. I wonder if Allie has already found one...

That is all, Tigers! Have a great day and come out and support your Tigers in Friday's game!”

The bell rings fifteen minutes after the announcements end. By the time we are set free, my brain is mush and I can't wait to get home. I walk to my locker, take out what I need for the night, and head for the parking lot. My small Toyota Corolla is loyally waiting for me in my self-claimed spot. Throwing my bag in the seat next to me, I start the car and pull out into the traffic. It takes ten minutes to get out onto the road, but only five to get home.