017

"Clary, we really need to talk. I think I'm turning into a vampire. I'm scared." Axel heard by his heightened hearing from Clary's phone. It seemed that Simon knew what he was going to become before turning into it and had the brains to warn Clary. Unfortunately for him, Clary hadn't listened to her voicemails.

"He thinks he's turning into a vampire and he goes to Camille?" Axel asked himself, confused at his stupidity. "Why?"

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there. This is all my fault." Clary sobbed, touching his limp arm. The coldness from his skin contrasted Clary's warm hand, giving her shivers. The redhead hiccuped and let out a whimper, wishing this had never happened.

"Clare bear, this isn't your-" Axel tried saying but was cut off by her sharp glare.

"No, it is! If it weren't for me, Simon would have never even known about the Shadow World. He would never have been kidnapped by vampires. He wouldn't have met Camille. He wouldn't be dead." Clary spoke through her clenched jaw, emphasizing on his name. After the words came out of her mouth, she choked out a sob.

"Clare bear, he's the one that followed you. Don't blame yourself."

"A fledgling. He's in transition." Raphael corrected, done with her crying. He sighed and watched as the blue eyed demon gather her in his arm and stroking her hair. He was quite surprised by the softness in his eyes. Axel was a demon feared by everyone and here he was hugging and comforting a Shadowhunter. It was quite a weird sight for the vampire.

"And now I am left with two-" Clary shuddered in Axel's arms. "Two reprehensible choices and I can't figure out which one is worse."

"Becoming a downworlder isn't that bad." Axel said and sighed, knowing this was a hard decision. If she chose to not turn him into a vampire, he would be forever dead and if she did, Simon would probably hate her forever. But still, being a vampire isn't that bad if you push aside the fact that you have to drink blood, can't go out in the sun, look pale, have sharp teeth, not be able to eat good food.

"If I bury Simon, what are the risks?" She asked the two downworlders. Axel let his arms hang by his side and took a step back, thinking if he should answer her question.

"Clary, no. Absolutely not." Jace ordered. Axel glared at him.

"Blondie, if she wants to know, then she will. It's not your decision." Axel stated. Jace sighed in defeat and took a step back, leaning on the wall.

"If Simon is buried and he doesn't emerge he would be trapped under the earth starving for eternity." Axel explained, looking at Clary. He glanced at Raphael so he could continue.

"If you stake him, he'll die a human death. It's painless, as far as I know." Raphael told her  with his usual raspy voice and leaned back on the chair.

"Simon, I'm so sorry." She whispered to her best friend.

•••

"This is a bad idea. Promise me you won't tell a mundane that Simon was bitten by a vampire." Jace said, looking though the Lewis living room. He picked a picture and set it back down. Axel was sitting on the couch as if it was his home. His legs were of the coffee table and his arms extended alongside of the couch.