33: Scorching

Trigger Warning (ALSO SPOILER) at the bottom for those who need it.

*Crystal*

I gripped Pitch's hand tightly, biting my lower lip as I squinted my eyes shut. I thought I knew pain. I thought I had seen and felt it all when I had Sapphira. But now I realize something: I was wrong. This was worse than pain and was beyond excruciating even when I was doing my best to ignore it. My heart had been pounding for hours at the same rate as my heavy breathing. Salty tears rolled down my cheeks to mix in with the sweat on my face. Although, most of my tears were gently brushed away by the feathery touch of Pitch's fingers from his free hand.

Razor blades. Razor blades and fire was all I could feel. They were digging and clawing me out from the inside, tearing up the flesh only to let more blood gush from the wounds, burning me even further. I didn't dare open my eyes, because I knew that if I did, then all I would see would be blood and the worried expressions of Emily and Pitch.

I screamed out in agony, tilting my head back against the pillow. Why? Why on Earth did it have to hurt? I gritted my teeth, clenching Pitch's bony hand even harder to make sure that he was still with me. I needed him. I couldn't do it just with Emily this time. I needed my king. He made a hissing sound from between his teeth, indicating that his bones were about to snap.

"Crystal..." he winced. "I can't feel my hand."

"I. Don't. Care," I growled. I sucked in more of the thick humid air, holding it in my lungs as I fought through another shocking contraction. My mind raced faster than my heartbeat. I was scared. I was confused. None of us knew what was going to happen. None of us even confirmed whether or not I was having twins. All I knew was, it was horrifying.

"Crystal, breathe," Pitch reminded, making me exhale loudly, only to inhale sharply a few times before going back to holding it in my lungs. I fought back the pain and dread that I suffered, practically drowning in the familiar feeling of being ripped apart slowly from my lower abdomen. While throwing my head back once more, I screamed out again, as if it was a way to rid the traumatizing torment. I listened to my voice vibrate through the walls as I took another deep breath, biting my lip once again. "Come on...come on, that's right," Pitch whispered in his soothing accent.

I was surprised that he acted this way. My guess earlier was that he wouldn't stay for me - that he would only leave me with Emily. But, he had actually cared enough to not leave me. He cared enough to explain to Emily what was happening to me just hours ago. Of course, he hesitated when I begged him to stay. Though, he gave in and never let go of me, informing me to not let go of him. So for hours, I've been listening to his calming voice whisper small reminders, while at the same time, he was stroking my hair or brushing away my tears. He was mine and I was his. His cold heart had almost completely thawed out to show the more humane ways of his past. I needed that, and I especially needed him.

My nails dug into his fragile hand as I squeezed it tighter, causing him to flinch and grab my hand with his other hand. Although, I still didn't even think of letting go of the one I was already crushing badly. In other words, one hand was on top of my own, which was holding onto his other. 

"Okay, easy," Pitch said with a tight voice.

My free hand was clawing at the bedsheets, begging for something to cling on to. I knew it was almost over, but something told me that I was far from finished. Another contraction stabbed at me like a dagger. I shrieked in horror of the pain and jolted forward. Pitch then took his one hand off of mine and left the first one to continue in my clutch. He moved his free arm around my bare shoulders, holding a partial amount of my weight in while I leaned back.