Part 6

Turns out we have a counsellor... maybe if i get on his good side it might be a little more bearable in here. There are so many rules in prison that no one in the outside world have any idea of.
I've already been lectured by my cellmates for trying to make my own bed, i know right? This is all really confusing to me.

And you wont believe this, i've been called Taylor Swift fucking twice already.

"Ay white girl you speak spanish?" a middle aged latina piped up to me.

"sí, es casi mi segundo idioma" I reply back to her.
"See, fucking white girl, speaks Spanish." She said to another Hispanic inmate that clearly only spoke in English.

They're really not shy on racial separation in here, it's kind of threatening.
When Morello settled me into my room she gave me a toothbrush and a few toiletries, but not to the coloured girls. I feel guilt for being the colour that I am, I guess I know what it feels like for 70% of the world now. And I can tell you, it is horrible.

I don't think I've quite processed where I am yet, everything is still pretty surreal. It's like my first day of high school, except the students are murderers and wrong doers. You can imagine the fear wilting in my stomach.

It's currently 11am, lunch is in an hour. And after the meals that have been thrown at me in the holding cells, I'm almost excited to see what's on offer. This may seem like a literal breeze for the way I'm coming across, but I really am terrified.

I'm terrified that I'll make a single wrong move and not know a glimmer of the consequences awaiting for me. There's already so many rules, yet so many more to come. And what happens when you break them? I don't want to find out.