Leaving.

Lucile's unexpected desire to go on the hunting trip allowed her mothers parental concern to overrule the silent consent of the village. Her mother, who was a brilliant beauty even in her mid-forties, stomped angrily into the earth and shrieked;
"By absolutely no conditions!" Her eyes glared wildly with a desperation which frightened her daughter slightly. It was the look of a mad woman who preached about the end of the world. "You are not going into that forest, young lady, and that's final!" She pointed a finger at Lucile's chest, the desperation on her face transforming into that of anxious terror. Now, what we must understand is that Bertha truly loved her daughter. But as aware as she was of the horrors of the woods, she was not very proficient in reversed psychology. If she had been, she'd most likely never forgive herself for this moment in her life.

The rivalry between women is much greater than that of men. Males constantly test their mettle against each other by show of force which usually puts an end to any disagreement. Female rivalry can last for many years, and none is quite as strong as that between mother and daughter. In other words, lovely Bertha did everything but pack Lucile's bag on that beautiful evening. Lucile only stared at her mother. Her lips were pressed into a thin white line on her face and the deep blue eyes she inherited from her deceased father sparked with anger and annoyance. There was something radiant about her, and one day she'd most likely grow up to put her mothers beauty to shame.
"I'm going!" She said, determined to defy her mothers anger which, unconsciously, she had accepted as a challenge. "I'm going with or without your approval!"

"No you are not!" Bertha shrieked, reaching forward to grasp her daughters arm. But it was too late. Lucile darted out of the way and turned, moved with the speed of youth and escaped the homestead. With her hands clutching her skirts, she ran with the evening sun in her eyes and the summer breeze in her hair, up the slope and into the stables. She heard her mother approaching from behind, crying now as well as screaming.
"No Lucile! Please!" There was a terrible desperation in her mothers voice which broke her heart, but she was her fathers daughter as well; stubborn on the verge of pig-headed. She leapt up onto her horse with the agility of someone with years of experience in riding. With her skirts hanging over the saddle, she rode out of the building and onto the small path by the edge of the meadow. Somewhere behind her, she could hear her mothers uncontrollable sobbing which almost caused her to turn back, knowing she was punishing her too harshly. But Lucile was young and still possessed by the arrogant stupidity commonly found in the very young. She chose to continue her course and disappeared into the bowels of the forest.