Chapter 33

As the days passed by, our plan to break into the Red Revenge compound developed more and more. Ross began teaching my mom to use a gun but, she wasn’t quite as receptive as I was. Once in a while, she’d let the gun slip through her fingers and start having a panic attack. Something about holding a weapon that could take someone’s life didn’t sit well with her. For me, it wasn’t as big a deal. It made me feel powerful and safe for once. Between all the training Ross was giving us, I had to find time to get ready for the Winter Formal this weekend. It was only three days away and I hadn’t even thought of buying a dress yet. I decided to call up Geena and see if she wanted to go to the mall with me.

            “Hey, Geena! I was thinking we could go dress shopping together this afternoon?” I ask hesitantly.

            “Oh, of course! That would be so much fun! I’ll swing by your house and pick you up in a few.” Geena said, then quickly hung up.

            After a few minutes, Geena’s car pulled up in front of my house and honked the horn. I climbed into her light pink Bug, rolling my eyes a little. Her car was exactly like her personality: bubbly and over the top.

            Finally, after at least 20 minutes of pulsing pop music filling my ears, we arrived at the mall. Geena dragged me into the first party store we saw and immediately began pulling dresses off the racks to try on. She was set on making sure I had the perfect time since I’ve never done this before. After a few moments, she returned, handing me a stack of at least 10 dresses.

            “I think these are so you.” She said, beaming at me.

            I quickly flicked through the dresses and pulled out about 7.

            “I don’t wear pink, purple, or any shades in between so you can put these back.” I say, matter of factly.

            Her eyebrows crinkle together in frustration but, she pushes me into the dressing room anyway.

            “Try on the other ones then! Hurry!” Geena says.

            I go inside the dressing room and come out in the first dress which is a short and plain black with some sparkly silver beading on the waist. Not too much, but not too little.

            Geena makes a face.

            “Too plain!” she calls, waving me back into the dressing room.

            The next one is a yellow high-low dress that has one-shoulder strap. There’s a belt on the waist and a tiny beading design on the bust. Not too sure about this one, I step outside.

            “Oh my gosh!” Geena gasps in horror.

            “What?” I ask.

            “You look like a squash.” She says, shaking her head and again shoves me back into the room.

            I sigh in exasperation as I try on the last and final dress. I have to admit that this one is quite beautiful. As I pull it over my head, I feel like this is the one. I look at myself in the mirror and notice the intricate designs of the dress. It’s a long floor-length sea-green color with some shades of turquoise. The skirt poofs out slightly, giving it a more feminine look but with some edge as well. Also, the waistline has exquisite beading work that could be seen sparkling from miles away. I spin around in the dress and giggle. I feel like a princess.

            “I hear you laughing in there! Come out!” Geena orders so I hesitantly come out of the changing room.

            Geena’s eyes widen and her hands cover her mouth. She sighs.

            “You look…gorgeous.” She says, stuttering.

            I haven’t ever been called gorgeous before so I’m at a loss for words as well. I shyly smile and tuck a stray piece of hair behind my ear.

            “Ross is going to love you.” She breathes, and then hands me her credit card. She’s offering to pay for the dress.

            “A dress this beautiful is one I’m willing to pay for. Besides, it’s your first time. It has to be special.” Geena reassures me and winks.

            Geena had quickly picked out a big sparkly and poofy pink dress from the back and then we checked out. As we exited the store with our bags in tow, I couldn’t help smiling to myself. Today, I think Geena and I had become closer and now I can finally say I have a real friend. I just hope Adam doesn’t pull her in on his schemes. If he hurts her, he hurts me. So he better watch his back, because I’m ready for him.