Natalia - Chapter Nine

I knocked on the door to retrieve Joffre on Lucrezia's  wedding day.

"Come in" I entered and smiled at His Holiness embracing his son.

"Pardon me Your Holiness, I have come to retrieve little Joffre" I bowed, he nodded and he let his son step away from him. I held out my hand and he clasped it in his. I bowed once again and departed

-

I walked slowly behind Lucrezia down the aisle of St Peater's. I caught sight of Lucrezia almost husband Giovanni Sforza. I felt in the pit of my stomach something wrong and that he did not have a kind face or a kind heart. I knew then what my stomach and my heart was telling me. It told me to fear for my dearest Friend Lucrezia. She took his hand and we stopped as Cesare reluctantly began.

"Most worthy lord do you agree to take the illustrious Lucrezia Borgia, here present to be your lawful spouse?" Sforza looked at Lucrezia

"I do"

"Most illustrious lady do you agree to take the most noble Lord Giovanni Sforza here present to be your lawful spouse?" she looked at him

"I do" she replied then she looked at father. After the wedding I saw that Cesare was less than happy and left. I followed him and walked in just as he tore apart his Cardinal Robes.

"Leave us" i order and the boys bow and leave. I walk over the discarded buttons to him.

"You are angry Dearest Cesare." I comment.

"You are very observant"

"I believe so." I replied "I also believe that it is not only your mothers absence but the truth that Lucrezia is now married to a most  downtrodden of men, These Sforza's do they not smile or show something kind or happy" he chuckled

"One might think his face was stuck like that" I giggled

"Have you come to heighten my spirits." I walked round him

"Not just yours, but your sisters. I have seen that she is close to weeping for many reasons I hope to help remedy one of them"

"Which one?"

"Your Mother Vanozza. His Holiness stated that she could not attend the wedding did he not"

"That he did" I stopped in front of him.

"The wedding it's self has passed I don't remember hearing anything of the aftermath" he looks down and me and smirks.

"You have been round us Borgia's long, my love. Our cunningness and deviousness is rubbing off on your innocence."

"My innocence, my Lord is still intact. But Donna Giulia Farnese has taught me to used my intelligence which I possess. Knowledge serves me right on what his Holy Father decreed and what he did not."

"I shall prepare and leave immediately" I bowed and left.

At the celebrations I watched as Lucrezia and her husband danced and other joined them. With Joffre I stood and watched the sour face of a husband converse with my truest friend he calls his wife.

"Lady Natalia?" Joffre asked

"Yes Joffre"

"Do you think that would be one of us one day?"

"I do not doubt it." I bent down to whisper "But let us hope that we have the sweetest of smiles and not the look as if our faces are stuck of utter ugliness" he covered his mouth to hid his amusement