Evaluations

Smackle is up at one a.m. finishing up her science project on immiscible liquids. She's sure to get an A. A plus, actually. But unlike the rest of her projects, her heart isn't in this one. She's been calling Farkle for the last hour, but he hasn't picked up his phone. He only texted her to say he was heading to Riley's and that he'd call her in the morning.

Smackle can take a wild guess at what happened. Probability with people and numbers are virtually the same. Here's the most likely cause: Maya. She did something stupid and reckless so Lucas has gone to reel her in. Riley is waiting to hear news and meanwhile she drags in Farkle to wait with her. Smackle is the last addition to the group. She only met Farkle six months ago and so she's quite fully in the group yet.

Maya is the nicest of the bunch. Smackle can see that, crystal clear. She thinks it's because Maya can see people hurting even when they don't show it. Mainly since she does plenty of hurting on her own. Her father left when she was seven. Her mother's parenting skills are summed up by, "Don't forget to eat." She's been taking care of herself for years.

Riley is the one everyone believes to be the nicest. They protect her from the world, which is impossible, but they do their best.

Lucas is a jock, a pretty boy, even Smackle can't resist staring at him on occasion. But despite looking like a bad boy, he's actually a nice guy. Good and headstrong, with a dangerous edge that helps him keep Maya in line.

Farkle, her dearest, is brilliant and shines brightest. He comes from a rich family, the air to the Minkus fortune but you would never know based off the way he treats people. He is kind and patient and most of all, loyal. He's been Riley's friend since Pre-K and their bond is something Smackle can't make even make sense of.

These evaluations are all based off Smackle's observations of course. She hasn't been in the group long enough to say anything concrete.

After her science project is done, Smackle stays up reviewing key SAT terms. She drifts off to sleep, dreaming of her handsome love.