Chapter Two

Tammy's is a pretty generic diner. They have burgers and fries and pretty much anything else you could imagine a generic diner serving. The food there is fairly cheap but so is my budget, even cheaper in fact. All of the people there are so nice. The manager, Danny, is a close friend of mine. We've been friends since sophomore year of high school. He had just transferred in halfway through the year from Indiana, poor guy. High school is bad enough without having to be the new kid halfway through your sophomore year. My chemistry teacher, Mrs. Morrison, introduced him at the front of the classroom. He had a look of terror and exhaustion in his eyes. Half of his face was covered by his hair. He was definitely a sight for sore eyes to me. I was in a classroom full of jocks and cheerleaders with a couple of drama kids mixed in. It was not a very diverse group. Then, Danny showed up. We instantly became friends. I know it seems impossible for a male teenager and a female teenager to just be friends, but we were. Neither of us really thought of each other like that. Plus, neither of us saw color when we were near each other. I've heard all of the stories. Supposedly, if you come into contact with your "soulmate" then, you're supposed to be able to see the world in color rather than black and white. I think that all of those stories are just..... stories. Way to define a word with itself. There's no way that one person is going to change your vision to color. Centuries of black and white vision cannot simply be reversed by the simple touch of another human being. It's just impossible. I saw everything. I can hardly process it. I saw so much in so little time. I don't know what to say or do or think. How do I tell my friends or anyone for that matter? I don't even know how to process it. How did this happen? Who is this woman? What do I do now? Do I just go back to work? Do I go home and stare into the abyss? I just don't know.