Chapter One

It was a normal, rainy Wednesday afternoon. Pretty boring, right? I thought so too. I was just heading back to work after lunch. I went to a local place called Tammy's. It's just a few blocks away and I'm friends with the manager there. He gives me a discount sometimes since he knows that money has been a bit tight over the past couple of months. I work at this little book shop that's owned by some family friends so I got the job pretty easily. It just took a good word in from my parents then, all of a sudden, I had a job that paid enough to get by. Then, this huge, obnoxious bookstore got put in just across the street with huge, obnoxious advertising like "Get a Book you'll NEVER Want to Put Down!" or "Reading Cleanses the Soul". To be completely honest here, our little run-down, mom and pop book shop could benefit from some huge, obnoxious advertising but we just simply can't afford it. Apparently, huge, obnoxious advertising not only greatly appeals to the masses but is also extremely expensive. It's a pain just to get a spot in the newspaper. We can barely afford to stay open and pay all of our employees. There's not very many of us left. It's just me, Sam, Jackson, Ryleigh, and Ben as well as the owners, Susan and Isaac. Some got laid off. Some just left since the pay is so bad. I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't consider myself particularly lucky in the long run but I've managed to keep a job for more than 2 months which is how long most of my other jobs last. Hey! It's not my fault that a customer "took offense" to my lack of sympathy over the fact that she spilled her entire coffee all over herself. She demanded that I give her a free coffee because of her own clumsiness! Absurd! I got fired after that incident. Another incident occurred at a grocery store, and a department store... The point is I've had a few jobs in the past that did not end very well for me. I have a feeling that this one isn't going to end well either considering that our business is tanking.