eleven | Winnie

"Sing from the heart, sing it loud and strong."

"Wilhelmina Reyes, you are destined for greatness."

Winnie replayed those words in her head as she walked over to the laundry room, her arms filled with all the dirty clothes she'd worn in the past three months.

Winnie was generally a lazy person, simple at heart. It was why she disliked her full name - Wilhelmina was just too long and complicated for a soft-spoken person like her.

The words were the last words spoken to her by her music instructor, before Winnie had left the state to become a student at Kingston. She was skilled in vocals, piano, and flute, and she had taught Winnie all three of them, during the nine years they knew each other.

Winnie thought about her now, as she absentmindedly poured the bright blue detergent into the washing machine, and sealed the door. Her brown hair, always held up in a bun with an olive green hair clasp. The way her house smelled like orchids, the familiarity that made it feel like her second home.

She pushed the start button, then dropped the room tag on top of the machine and walked out, the sweet smell of the detergent clinging to her clothes.

As she wandered down the hall, the sound of loud and obnoxious voices could be heard as the sources got closer to her. Winnie quickly moved around the wall and into a corner, in an attempt to hide.

"So I got these hand salted chocolates from Ken - they're absolutely delish! I would've eaten them all but I took pity on you and saved one."

"Thanks," Sky said cooly.

The voices got louder, then slowly started to fade away.

"Psst."

Winnie whirled around, dropping the empty laundry basket as she did. It fell to the floor with a clatter.

"Hello?" Her voice trembled.

She could make out a small figure in the shadows.

"Winnie."

"Felicity? What are you doing here?"

"Hiding," Felicity said simply.

Winnie wondered who she was hiding from, but didn't bother to ask.

"Oh, cool."

Felicity frowned.

"You're not going to ask why?"

"Um... No?"

Felicity sighed, before responding.

"There's a whole world out there, Winnie. This corner here, it's just a small part. Now do you want to stay here, and avoid the rest of the world, or do you want to go out there and make a difference?"

"Um, stay here, I guess."

Felicity threw her arms up in exasperation.

"Wrong!"

Winnie frowned.

"You sound like you want me to go out there."

"Exactly." Felicity stepped out of the nook, her brown eyes twinkling.

Winnie scratched her head, confused.

"Just your typical life lessons with Felicity." She patted Winnie on the back.

"Stay strong, Winnie."

✽✽✽

"Partner up, guys. Today, we're about to make history."