Alice

The dust clings to my shoes, my legs sting from the long walk. My hair is wind blown and dirty. I could really use a shower. The little coffee shop I enter smells great and makes my stomach rumble. Ignoring the stares I get and just sit in a booth.

"Can I...get you something?" A young waitress asks me. Her long, wavey dark hair is neat and flowing down her back, her bright blue eyes sparkle with curiosity and a bit nervousness. I look at her name plate. Alice.

"Water," I croack past chapped lips and a dry throat. Alice nods and walks away. I lay my head on the table and blink my heavy eyes. When my water comes, I slowly sip it.

~//~

I open my eyes to a new setting. Pale blue walls and a wide glass window with green satin curtains. I'm on a very comfortable bed wrapped in dark green blanket. I sit up, remove the blanket, and put my feat on the cold dark hard wood floor. Shivers run through my body. My clothes had been changed.

I am now wearing light blue pajama pants with clouds and...care bears...and a matching long sleeve shirt. Cautiously, I walk to the white wood door and exit the room. I walk down a narrow hallway and come to a livingroom adorned with black material couches and a small flat screan t.v. The smell of bacon and pancakes drift from the ajoined kitchen. The dark haired woman at the stove turns and smile at me.

"Sit, I have breakfast just about done." I press my lips together and sit at the small stool at the kitchen island. She's that diner girl, Alice. She brought me to her home? "You passed out on the table last night, so I had my friend Charlie load you up in his truck and he brought us back to my place."

"Oh...that's very kind of you. Thank you."

"No problem. Your clothes are very out of fasion, so I will give you some of mine. You can take a shower after breakfast. Bathrooms next to the guest room you woke up in." She places a plate of chocolate chip pancakes and a sausage pattie in front of me. Next she goes into the cupboared and pulls out a glass, to which she goes into the fridge and pulls out orange juice. "You aren't allergic?"

I shake my head no and she pours me a glass. Next, she makes her own and sits in front of me. I dig into my meal, and my god it tasted like heaven.

"So, where are you coming from?"

"The state prison." She stops eating and her eyes bore into me. I take another bite and swallow. "They've just released me. I'm now looking for my daughter."

"Oh...that's good I suppose. You aren't...dangerous, are you?"

"No, I'm stable."

"So...what's your daughters name?"

"Cecillia," I smile fondly. Alice smiles.

"Pretty. How old is she?"

"She will be turning 10 here pretty soon."

"Well, if she is still in Gotham, she may be going to one of the three elemantary schools around here. We can start there tomorrow."

"We?"

"Yeah, unless you don't want my help." I considered it a minute, then finally swallowed my last bite and stood up.

"I suppose it couldnt hurt." I turn on my heel and stalk toward the bathroom, leaving my plate.

"Towels are above the sink!" Her voice calls down the hall.