What You Call War

"Are those my very obedient children I'm sensing?"

My stomach plummeted.

The only time father ever said such things was when we were in trouble.

I did not wish to be in trouble with my father.

"Children."

We bowed in respect for the alpha.

"You requested our presence sir?"

"We both did."

Slowly I lifted my gaze, catching the sight of my beautiful mother.

"What did you do to your hair child!?" Yvonne's hands tangled in my short hair, pain engraved in her lovely features.

"I, I wanted to try something new."

"But it was so beautiful long."

"Yvonne, she's an adult, she has the right to make her own stupid decisions."

I'm here so they can insult me?

If I needed that I could have stayed home and listened to my brother.

"Was there something you needed to see us about parents?" Adrian questioned, tired of the bickering.

"Yes." Mother stepped back, returning to her natural stone exterior.

Father stepped closer, sniffing the air.

"I wanted to see if the rumors of my daughter seeing a Vipond mutt were false, but judging by the stench I can see it's true."

Our mother circled us. "Which Vipond heathen is it children?"

Once again I felt like a pup being scolded.

When my parents yet again stood side by side, I mustered the courage to speak.

"Caiden."

Pure ferocity surged their bodies, bringing them to the brink of transformation.

"He is nothing more than a friend!"

I tried to calm them, to quiet the beast.

"Silence!!!"

My father's thunderous growl reverberated through to my core, making me cower in fear.

Adrian moved in front of me, his own wolf pushing to the surface.

"Enough!!! You will not touch her!"

Father and son stood their ground as I watched helpless and scared.

My pleading eyes met my mothers, her animal instincts slowly retreating within.

"Stop, fighting will not change the past. We were too quck to anger." Mother placed her hand on my father's shoulder, quickly pulling back as he snapped at her.

A dangerous shade of yellow encompassed her eyes. "Micah Edwin Fiore, if you wish to live long enough to meet your grandchildren, I suggest you stop this nonsense now." The guttural rumble at the back of her throat had my father taking a step back.

"I'm sorry my head, the disrespect our children show has set me on edge." He straightened his shirt, eyes falling upon me. "To think the only daughter we have left is associating herself with such a monster."

"Monster?" I looked up from the ground in anger. "To call him a monster is to call your own kind as such. You speak of him as though you didn't just threaten to attack your own children."

"Savannah-"

"She's right mother. I have met this Caiden on occasion and the only fault I can find, is his feelings for your daughter."