New Beginnings

New York, a city known for it's bright lights and bustling crowds, has single handedly grabbed dozens of out-of-towners to come here and find themselves. To start anew, whether it be a new career, a new house and some even happen to find love along the way.

Enter Sasha Palmer, an African American female fresh outta high school. Her complexion similar to melted milk chocolate, and with her soft grey eyes, full lips and smooth skin, she's a natural beauty. Her black hair is shoulder length and naturally wavy, which was a natural pain to work with every morning. Thanks to her impeccable grades and her love for taking photographs, she has been accepted into Columbia U. This school is known nationwide for it's outstanding curriculum, vast student activities, nationally ranked sports teams and a outstanding arts program.

Sasha has been taking pictures since she was 10. Her grandfather, who passed away shortly after, gave her an old Polaroid Camera on her 10th birthday that had many memories of him and his wife, Susan. He told her stories of how he took pictures of her while she wasn't looking because an off-guard picture reveals more truth and beauty than any other picture taken when the person knows about it.

Ever since he passed, Sasha has been taking pictures of anything and everything. She enjoys the emotion she can convey from just taking a picture of nature or of a person walking down the street. Most people didn't understand her passion or believe in her abilities, which resulted in her not being very popular. But she had her close friend Selena who had her back evert step of the way. After being accepted into Columbia U, one of her top picks, Sasha immediately started packing her bags and left the ATL for the big apple. Selena was also lucky to have been accepted to Columbia U with a fashion design scholarship. After saying goodbye to their families, the two friends flew to New York and started their new lives together.

"Wow", Sasha thought as she walked around her new apartment. "The view from here is so beautiful, I hope I have some time to shoot some pictures." Grunting, Selena came in through the doorway, lugging two big suitcases. "you know you could've helped me carry this stuff up here instead of staring off into space...again", Selena commented annoyed, dropping the bags by the couch.

Sasha looked over at her friend, "Sorry I was going to but then I saw this breathtaking view and just thought about all the pictures I can take before it all disappears." "Ha, Sash this view isn't going anywhere. It's not an illusion, its not a mirage, its reality, our reality. It's always going to be there, I mean come on we're in the New York! The city of lights! Besides along with this view, you'll get better pictures if you took them from the ground looking up at all the skyscrapers." Sasha gave Selena a thoughtful look, "you know what? That's a great idea! I should go do that now before it gets too dark." Sasha scrambled to find her camera while her friend just laughed at her antics.

"Ha!", Sasha exclaimed with her camera in hand, "Found it!". As she speed walks to the front door, she's stopped by Selena's hand on her arm. "Oh no you don't, you are not taking any pictures until we get everything up here safe and sound", Selena exclaimed, plucking the camera from her friend's hand, placing it on the couch. "But", Sasha whined. "No buts, we are getting this done or you're not getting your precious camera back for a whole week," Selena proposed.

Sasha sighed in defeat, walking toward the door. "Fine let's go". Selena follows behind with a smug smile.

Author's Note

hi everyone who decided to click on my story and give it a go. This story is a work in progress so I will be doing s lot of editing before and after posting new chapters so give me some time. Also if you liked this first chapter, why not vote on it? Every vote counts even if it's just one. I'll talk to you guys in the next chapter, peace from the middle east.

P.S I typed this chapter on my computer so those reading it on mobile devices, the spacing is everywhere and not right. Don't worry I will fix that problem once I edit it from my phone. Thanks again.