Audition

A week before the auditions were due to be held, I memorized Memory, and could be found singing it all over the house. I was scared. I didn't know for sure which part I wanted to be. Grizabella was the one I was aiming for, partly because she was of the few I could remember.

At the audition, it was just like a regular rehearsal at first - we sat along the front of the stage and warmed up with the Jellicle Ball. Mr Small left the room, and we numbered ourselves. He and Miss Berry came back in, and picked the number 3. Kelly buried her face in her hands and begged not to go first. 5. Me. Well, this was going to be terrifying. I clambered to my feet, script in hand.

Everyone was instructed to clear off the stage - Kelly called out that it was mean to leave me up there by myself, but I was just concentrating on this whole breathing business. Mr Small picked out a specific bit for me to sing, gave me my note, and began to play the introduction. I caught Mary's eye - she gave me a big smile, and I focused on Mr Small again.

"Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then,"

Deep breaths. Don't think about being as good as Marie. Focus on you.

"I remember
The time I knew what happiness was,"

The timing was off, awkward. I focused on the clock at the back of hall, trying to project.

"Let the memory live again,"

I wanted that. I missed Clark.

Mr Small stopped playing and gave me the cut signal.

"Well done Eleanor." I stumbled off the stage, glad not everyone was here, and sat down to a smattering of applause. My hands were shaking and I knew my throat had tightened and stopped me hitting the notes properly, but Mary and Ellen gave me a hug and told me I had done well. Mary wasn't auditioning, though I thought she would make a fantastic Rumpleteazer, but Ellen was shaking as she took some sort of calming thing from a little pill box. I hugged her, and reassured her that she'd be great. Everyone was really good, as it happened. I taught myself to expect failure. I decided I didn't get a part - why would I when I couldn't sing? - and continued happily for a week or so.

· · · ·

Initial cast list:

Rum Tum Tugger - Steve (utterly typecast)

Deuteronomy - Ryan (I didn't know he could sing)

Munkastrap - Boris (I thought he asked for a non singing part?)

Jennyanydots - Sophie (whoop whoop)

Mistoffelees - Xander (of course, he's the only boy who can dance)

Jellylorum - Jane (well if she can sing as well as she can dance she's fine)

Bombalorina - Jess (I don't really know her but she can dance too)

Demeter - Emma (I've never heard her sing before but she's pretty)

Grizabella - Eilidh (of course, she's amazing)

Bustopher - Teddy (so perfect)

Macavity - Bobbie (I don't know him at all)

Rumpuscat - Sophia (she did not look happy but she's not the best of singers)

Jemima - Eleanor and Ellen (not my Ellen - a different one)

Rumpleteazer - Faith (yay but poor Mary)

Asparagus - Kyle (haven't heard him sing in ages)