Chapter Twelve

Abby was sitting with Lexa at a table discussing medicine with the brunette. Lexa wanted her healers to learn more from Abby when it came to healing and in turn, grounder healers would teach the doctor remedies. As they spoke, a boy rushed over to them and bowed his head at Lexa.

              “Heda, it is ready,” the boy said in Trigedasleng before holding out a ring.

              Lexa smiled and took the ring. “Mochof.”

              The boy rushed off and Abby looked at the silver band that Lexa was now admiring. “Is that a wedding band?”

              “It is. Clarke told me of how a ring is given during a union in your culture. I thought it might be respectful to ensure that part of Sky People’s beliefs is upheld.”

              “That is very kind of you.” Abby gestured to the ring. “May I?”

              Lexa handed Abby the ring and the woman looked it over. There was Trigedasleng engraving on the inside of it and she had to stop herself from asking what it meant. She didn’t want to overstep boundaries. “It’s beautiful.” She handed the ring back. “Clarke will love it.” Lexa smiled and tucked the ring away in her pocket. “What do your people do to show marriage between two people?” Abby asked, curiously.

              “Matching tattoos solidifies a union after the bonding ceremony takes place,” Lexa answered.

              Abby quirked a brow. “A tattoo? That’s… permanent. Does Clarke know about that?”

              Lexa smiled. “She does. She wants to work with one of our artists in creating our tattoo. Tattoos are significant to my people and I will wear my mark of my union with your daughter with honor.”

              Abby relaxed at Lexa’s words. “I’m glad she has you,” she admitted. “I have never seen Clarke so carefree and happy the way she is with you. I’m trusting you with her, Commander.”

              Lexa nodded. “I will always do my best to keep Clarke safe. I would never want any harm to befall her. And please, in moments like this you do not need to address me as Heda.”

              Abby smiled, knowing in her heart that Lexa would go to hell and back for Clarke. “I guess if you are to be my daughter-in-law, such formalities won’t be needed all the time.”

              Lexa frowned. “Daughter-in-law?”

              “An in-law is what you gain when you get married,” Abby explained. “For example, if Clarke had siblings, you would become their sister-in-law.”

              Lexa thought about it for a moment before looking at Abby, curiously. “Upon bonding with Clarke, I will gain a mother? You will become my mother… in-law?”

              “Exactly,” Abby smiled.

              Lexa thought about it some more. “I never knew my own mother well… nor my father. Having a family is a foreign concept for me.”

              Abby reached out across the table, hesitating for a moment before placing her hand on top of Lexa’s. She could only imagine how lonely of a life the brunette must have lived. “You have one now.”

              Clarke tossed a rock and smiled, proudly, as it skipped along the pond she was standing at with Octavia and Raven. They had been talking and joking around for an hour and now the topic of conversation had become about her relationship.