Chapter Five (Ellie)

Sometimes I really enjoyed the quieter days in Neverland, doing our chores in peace. I was the mother, so of course I did a lot of the work. I hummed to myself as I washed the boy's' clothes, getting all the dirt out from their days of play in the jungle. I noticed that Xander's clothes were the smallest, and I had to giggle a little. He was the smallest, and yet he was the most spirited out of all of them. The sweet boy was really fitting in, and I loved that. He had recovered from the recent pirate attack, and he was a lot happier. He was bonding with a couple of the boys, but most of the time he stuck by me. Sometimes I found my heartbeat pick up speed whenever I saw him. He was such a wonderful boy, and I had grown closer with him than ever.

"Little Blue, you are doing a lovely job! Keep going!" I watched as he swept the floors of the hideout, a content smile on his face. He seemed so peaceful here, as if he saw Neverland as his home. I hoped he did. I brought him here for that exact reason, to find a new family and make a new home for himself. I hoped he was happy here.

"I didn't expect cleanliness to be important on this island," Xander giggled. "I thought--"

"A clean lost boy is a happy lost boy!" I interrupted with a smile. "Remember that, and we'll be in great shape."

"Yes, Ellie--I mean Mother." We shared a laugh, and we kept on with our duties. I washed and mended and made pockets, and Xander swept and scrubbed. Nobody really complained on cleaning days, much to my relief, and even Peter did his fair share of work. He whistled off-key as he made the beds, and every so often he would look over at me and wink. My heart was suddenly in my throat, and I cracked a smile.

The boys came inside the underground in small groups, carrying with them whatever we needed. Food, firewood, water, weapons. I smiled at it all, watching them. I felt so productive, everything going perfectly smoothly.

"Oh hello!" I heard Xander giggle out of nowhere, and I turned around to see him talking to....a fairy. A fairy?! How could he understand her?! "CeCe? What a lovely name. I'm Alexander!"

"Well look at this," Peter stood up and watched, arms crossed. "Little Blue can understand the fairy language!"

I stared at Xander, unable to comprehend this new revelation. It took him no time at all to understand the fairy language. It took me months to understand it, and there he was, understanding in just a few seconds. Did I miss something? I felt a little resentment in my chest, for he just arrived a few days ago and here he was completely fitting in and picking up things without effort. Even flying seemed natural to him. "Wow..." I breathed, trying not to show my growing jealousy. I didn't want to be the over emotional girl in a room of boys.

"Her name is CeCe!" Xander giggled. "She's my fairy, Ellie! She says I'm famous in the fairy world! How am I famous? I just got here!"

CeCe was a beautiful fairy, with black hair and purple eyes and sharp white wings. "You're famous because you're special, Xander." CeCe spoke, and my heart began to sink. I did not like the sound of this. "In fact, you're the reason I'm here."

"Me?" All the boys began to gather around, and I gravitated towards Peter.

"The fairies have decided it is high time to announce your successor, Peter." CeCe said. "We know who it is."

My stomach knotted and my head pounded, and all of us sat down. Peter remained standing. Everybody wanted to be the heir, everybody wanted to continue Peter's legacy when he had to step down. He told us all that we were all worthy candidates, but there could only be one. He even looked at me when he said that, and my ego exploded from that moment on.

"Let's make a game out of this, shall we?" CeCe giggled, making sure everyone was seated. Dana suddenly fluttered in, and she sat down on my shoulder.