Prologue

"Pietro, I'm scared." I whispered to the boy beside me.

His strong and muscular arms pulled me in closer when he noticed me shivering, "It's gonna be okay sister. I won't let anybody hurt you." he managed to say as he too shivers through the cold night, despite the small fire in front of us.

I laid my head on my twin brothers chest, closing my eyes and wishing all of this would be over. The pain, the hunger, the exhaustion and the fact that we were scared out of our minds. I listened to his heartbeat, every beat making me calmer and calmer. I'm glad he's with me, he's alive and that's the only thing that matters.

My eyes snapped open when I heard a twig snap. My eyes searched beyond the trees, hoping that whatever made that sound is just a tiny animal. I held on as tightly as my brother held onto me.

"You stay here, I'll go check it out." He says as he slowly releases his grip on me, but I didn't move an inch.

"No Pietro, we stay together." I say.

He sighed and gave me a kiss on my forehead, "Okay but just stay behind me."

I nodded and I slowly got up, trying my best not to make a sound. I stood behind him, I gulped as I motioned for him to walk. We walked slowly and quietly to the other side of the forest, my feet repeating every step Pietro makes. I can hear my heart beating through my chest, besides that the only thing I can hear is the slight shuffle of our footsteps and the Owl. I looked over Pietro's shoulder, examining the forest before us. If it weren't for our worry and exhaustion, we'd explore this beautiful forest. But in or case, beauty isn't important.

We were walking silently when we heard another twig snap. But this time, the sound came from the other side of the forest. Pietro and I looked at each other.

"Please let's just ignore it." I pleaded to my brother.

"Wanda we haven't eaten for two days. What if it's a squirrel?" What he said does makes sense.

"What if it's not?" I whispered, my voice clearly laced with fear.

Pietro held my face onto his hands, "Whatever it is, we face it together."

After a moment of silence, I finally agreed. Pietro gave me a reassuring smile, but I can sense that he too is terribly afraid.

We walked back slowly to where we were sitting. The sound of my heart beating loudly as ever. I didn't know what would face us there, but like Pietro said, we'd face it together.

When we finally reached it, Pietro's body relaxed and he exhaled. "I told you it's just a squirrel." He says, a small laugh escaping his lips.

I opened my eyes, not even realizing it was closed. I looked over at him slowly walking over to the squirrel eating a chestnut. With a quick movement of his hands, he grabbed the squirrel by its tail, holding it firmly in his palms. The little furry animal squiggled and tried to escape, but Pietro's hands were stronger and he didn't dare let the squirrel loose. My lips curved up in a smile. It always amazes me how he can catch tiny animals with his bare hands. Perhaps it was something he got from my father when we were younger.

Before I could walk over to him, gunshots rang through the forest loud and startling, making me deaf. All I can hear is ringing as my vision slightly blurs. I screamed for Pietro, but I couldn't hear my voice. My heart started beating as I searched for him. Then I saw someone lying on the ground, but I couldn't make out his face. All I saw was his blue sleeved shirt, filled with bullet holes, and his silver hair. That couldn't possibly be him. Pietro has brown hair like mine. The ringing in my ears wouldn't stop, but luckily my vision started going back to normal, then that moment I saw who it was.