9: How Do You Know?

The final bell of the day rings, releasing the students for the weekend.

Maya jumps up from her seat and hurries out of the classroom. All she can think about is going home, where she knows she will likely cry herself to sleep after what happened between her and Riley today.

She had just gotten out into the hall when she feels someone grab her wrist and she jumps from surprise. She turns around. Upon seeing you it was she says, "Riley?"

"I need to show you something."

"What?" Maya asks shyly.

"You have to trust me. You said you would always trust," Riley smiles.

Maya looks at the brunette with a worried and scared face. "What could she possibly want to show me?" Maya wonders.

Before she can begin to even think of all of the possibilities, Riley starts to drag Maya to wherever she is taking her, making Maya lose her thoughts.

Riley takes Maya to the subway, still holding on to her wrist. The two sit in silence the whole ride. Riley's face bright and happy as can be, while Maya's is puzzled and scared, as she starts to think about what Riley has to show her.

After a while, Riley finally gets up at her desired stop, making Maya get up with her.

As they get off Maya realizes Riley is taking her to the brunette's apartment.

Once they get to her apartment Riley continues to drag the blonde until they get to Riley's room.

Maya looks around realizing there is nothing special or different about Riley's room. "I've seen your room before, Riley," Maya says in an irritated tone to hide the fact that she is actually quite worried.

Riley takes Maya and pushes her down on the bay window and the adjusts the blonde's legs so that the are crossed. She takes the girl's knees and turns her to face the other side of the window. Riley then takes a pillow, the same one she cried into just a few nights before, and puts it down in front of Maya.

The brunette soon sits down herself on the opposite side of the pillow, mirroring the way Maya is sitting.

Confused as ever, "what did you want to show me?" Maya asks in a voice just above a whisper.

"Nothing. Well not yet anyway."

"Then why am I here?" Maya says as she turns her head to look outside, not wanting to show Riley how scared she is.

"We need to talk, Maya," she says looking right at her friend with a sincere smile.

"I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't feel the way I feel about you," Maya says cowardly, looking down and remembering to cover her right hand with her left.

"Maya, please don't ever apologize for your feelings ever again."

Maya looks up at Riley and gives her a faint smile, resulting in the Riley doing the same.

Riley starts again, "Maya, did you ever like Lucas?"

Maya looks away again, losing the little confidence she had just gained.

"Maya?"

"No," she answers.

"Then why did you say you did?"

"Because... I thought I did, but I realized I never could."

"Why did you think you liked him?" Riley asks putting a hand on Maya's leg.

Maya flinches at the touch and looks down at the girl's hand. "I don't know."

"Yes, you do," Riley asserts, wanting the truth.

"I don't know... I guess because he reminded me of you... You two are just so similar to each." Maya states looking back out the window. "Perfect for each other," Maya instinctively says to herself.

Riley thinks for a second, "then why couldn't you watch him ride the bull in Texas?"

"Because I'm still his friend... I didn't want him to get hurt."

"That can't be the only reason," Riley blurts out, wanting more.

Maya is silent and then mutters, "if he got hurt, you would have been so hurt too... I couldn't have handled standing there seeing you so sad if something happened and not being able to do anything about it."

"If you were in love with me in Texas then, why did you say you've liked Lucas for so long?"

"I didn't know," Maya whispers.

"Didn't know what?"

Maya doesn't respond.

Riley finally realizes and gently says, "you don't like any boys. Do you, Maya."

Maya doesn't respond, but looks up at Riley and then quickly right back down, answering her question.

Riley smiles and begins to rub Maya's leg with her thumb, "that's okay, Maya," she assures her.

Maya looks up at the brunette, takes a gulp and shyly says, "b-but you like boys... don't you?"

"Yeah... I do," she says softly.

Maya looks down, feeling like a fool for ever telling Riley her feelings. Maya begins to tighten her left hand around her right until her knuckles turn white, hoping that some how that will protect her and Riley's friendship.

"Maya... How do you know that you are in love with me?"

Maya looks up at the brunette stunned at her question. "What?" She mumbles.

"How do you know that you are in love with me?"