Getaway

I stumbled up the stairs, pushed my window open, and climbed into Violet's room. She was already throwing things into her bag.

She raised an eyebrow at me. "I'm leaving in an hour. Did you have a change of heart?"

I shook my head. "No, I just need to get out. Wanna head to the park?"

"Don't you have school?" She asked on  .

I shrugged. "There's always gonna be school, but there's not always gonna be a Violet Sanders living right next to me."

She smiled. "No, I guess there won't."

She started to climb out her window, motioning for me to follow. Luckily, her house was made of brick, and easy to climb down. Unfortunately, I have no athletic skills whatsoever and ended up nearly falling two stories.

The walk to the park was swift, as it was only two blocks away. Once we arrived Violet grabbed my hand and started pulling me. "I need to show you something."

She dragged me into the girl's bathroom, much to my discontent. I raised my eyebrows at her.

"It's the only bathroom with a full length mirror." She said, as if it explained why your here. "Now I want you to look at yourself." She said, turning my chinto face the mirror. "What do you see?"

I pursed my lips, staring at my reflection. "I see a boy who's been dragged into the girl's bathroom against his will."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm serious."

I turned back to the mirror. What does she expect me to see?

I looked at myself, my brown hair disheveled and my brown eyes hollow. My skin was so pale that I looked almost ghostly, and bruises scattered my face. I resembled everything I didn't want to be: fearful, hurt, empty.

I looked down, not willing to admit it. "I don't know what you expect me to see."

Then I looked at her. Her cheeks were flushed red with excitement, and her blue eyes were glowing with energy. That was what I wanted to be. Excited, energetic, happy.

And at that moment, I made a decision.

"Okay." I said.

She raised her eyebrows, she knew what I meant. "Really?"

I swallowed, nodded.

A smile spread across her face, and I couldn't help but think of how beautiful she looked when she smiled. "I knew you'd come to your senses."