2.

We all walked together, grumpy looks on our faces as mother slipped her hand into my father's. She turned to look at us, all of us smiling tightly once her eyes landed on us. We didn't want to be here. There was nothing else to say.

My father had plans to watch his loving TV series of The Walking Dead, catch up with all he had missed due to work holding him back. My sister wanted to sleep over at her best friend's house, even though it was a definite no, she much rather stay home and watch reruns of the new Teen Titans. I just wanted to enjoy my last days of summer without having to socialize with anyone outside my family nucleus. That is exactly how petty I was.

Nonetheless we all wore big smiles for my mom, like we wanted to be here. The house of my mom's old high school friend was located in the really nice part of town.

Where the grass was always greener, the walls seemed brighter, and neighbors waved at one another as they picked up their newspapers in their bright white robes and of coarse, the coffee in hand.

I wasn't surprised when the inside was filled with people just like I had imagined. Brand new, bright dresses and sparkling pointy shoes. Men wearing some sorts of ridiculous bowties. I hadn't noticed, but I was now standing alone, my family all gone to God knows where.

I had decided to make the best of it, my feet guiding me towards the kitchen of this enormous house. There were family photos scattered all over the place, up on the walls and on tables. Before I could even enter the kitchen officially a hand was placed on my shoulder. I turned around.

"Hi, I'm Jake."

"You're the obvious starer. Staring at people is rude boy." I smiled smugly.

We stood there, smiling at one another. Jake, the oldest son who stood a foot over me and wore funny looking golf caps and bow-ties at this sort of events. His hair was peeking under his cap and I could see the slight shine of gel on his forehead as the light landed over him. He folded his arms over his chest, his tongue pressing against his cheek before he shifted his weight from one foot to another.

"Right." He cleared his throat. "Where are your parents? My mom asked me to look for them."

I shrugged. "I don't know. I'm here for the food. Also," I narrowed my eyes at him. "Have you got Netflix? It would be great if you did."

"I'd give you my Netflix, but I didn't catch your name." I pursed my lips.

"I just want to finish a series in three days. Help a sister in need." I let my shoulders sag as I stared up at him desperately. "If you don't I'll find your brother. He looks like he would help me."

Jake's eyes went wide, green eyes sparkling brightly as he reached out and held my arm. He blushed lightly before he retreated his arm and smiled shyly. Cute, I thought.

Actually it was all I could think around this family.

"Come on. I've got a stash of junk food in my room. My Netflix is all yours."

I had smiled happily as we both skipped up the stairs. Jake's room was boyish, walls coated with a navy blue and team flags, jerseys and picture frames hung on his wall. His bed was not neatly made, but it was made. He turned on his TV, which hung on the wall, and pointed at his bed.

Truly I hadn't intended to spend four hours in the stranger's room watching Skins all over again, I just wanted to start something new but once Jake whispered the words "skins" like it was another language I made him watch it. I didn't plan on talking to him either, personal topics to be more specific. I had learned quite a lot of the boy.