Chapter One

• Dedicated to Marissa, Who Should Be Real Somewhere

Marissa curled up again on her bed to check out the story she had posted. She was grateful for the comments she had received but couldn't help being offended by a posted comment from someone with the user name of Byron. She had been waiting for days for him on the forum's chat line to tell him just what she thought of him. Sure enough, there he was.

Mar: You're a jerk!  :(

Byron: What do you mean?

Mar: I mean it's about your comments on my story.

Byron: I've said a lot of things here on the literary forum. I apologize if you are offended. What did I say?

Mar: You said that my story, A Teen's Unsure Steps, was sad.

Byron: I don't mean that the story is sad, but the writer's main character is in a sad situation. Cissie knows the outcome will always be the same, time after time she goes back to her guy.

Mar: Can you blame her if she's in love?

Byron: Is it really love if Cissie keeps going back and allowing Randy to mistreat her?

Mar: Randy makes Cissie feel like a real woman for the first time in her life. How is that mistreatment?

Byron: He doesn't love her, and she keeps going back to him time after time for sex. And she has to know it's not really love.

Mar: Sure, she sleeps with him in the story. But he says he loves her.

Byron: That's not good enough. Look how he treats her. Little good it does her. All the promises he makes after that don't matter. He's a prick.

Mar: Why?

Byron: If he will not go out with her on real dates, he doesn't love her, no matter what he says. No matter how many times he brings her sexual pleasure.

Mar: But he says he loves me!

Byron. Wait a minute. You mean he says he loves Cissie, don't you? Well, haven't we been talking about a story plot?

What then are we talking about?

Mar: No. Can't you guess?

Byron: What am I supposed to guess?

Mar: I'm Cissie in the story. :)

Byron: I'm sorry, Mar. I didn't know. It looks like fiction has imitated life too much. Did you expect me to know that when first reading over your story?

Mar: No, I guess not.

Byron: Can I ask you a favor?

Mar: Sure. What?

Byron: Don't just take my word for it. See what your friends say. I hope they haven't just stood by without giving their honest opinions about Randy, or whoever he really is.

Mar: Believe me, they have already.

Byron: I am not much on a lot of advice, but I can listen.

Mar: Do you think that I'm a slut?

Byron: Why?

Mar: Because I am already having sex.

Byron: Look what a girl like you has to put up with nowadays. There's always someone pushing sex on you every time and place you turn around.

Mar: What?

Byron: Look. Business sells sex in ads. The school teachers now tell you to be savvy about sex. They said years ago that if you knew about sex, you would delay having it. They were wrong. More and more stories everywhere portray youth having sex at a younger age. People around you tell you there is something wrong if you're not sleeping around.

Mar: Yep, you're right. :)

Byron: If they hadn't shoved sex in your face all of your life, might you have waited?

Mar: I guess I would have. It's like they said for me to hurry up and play adult. I guess that I prolly did.

Byron: You're really a nice girl. Will you hail me again next time you are on the chat line? I'll always make time if you want to talk to me. So is this good night, Mar?

Mar: Sure, Byron, and thanks. Good night. :)