Chapter Three

Marissa left off talking to Byron for the next six months. Then one night, she found him online.

Mar: Hi, Byron, remember me?

Byron: Sure, Marissa. Well, how have you been? How's Jim?

Mar: Are you mad at me?

Byron: How could I ever be mad at you for speaking you mind?

Mar: Well, Jim left a month ago. But I got another wonderful guy.

Byron: Same thing? He is renting a room with your hearing-impaired mother sleeping down the hall? Would your father ever allow that in his home?

Mar: I don't live with him. You know that.

He'd never trust a strange guy in the same house with me.

Byron: Maybe you don't like your dad, and he's annoyed with you, but what about your mom? She's naïve, and you know it. Dad can't prevent it, and your mother won't. Are you ready for any unpleasant consequences with your new live-in lover?

Mar: Oh, yes, but we love each other soooooo much!

Byron: Live-in boyfriends are so often dangerous when they take a girlfriend for granted.

Marissa, all I can do here is to listen to you.

I can advise you and pray that you do the right thing. I have no power to keep you from shacking up with another guy. Will you watch yourself?

We both know that a guy in your bed regularly means we will not be able to chat.

Mar: Yeah, he'd get mad if I said I had a headache. Chatting on him would be cheating, or rather cheating on him would be chatting. Lol.

Byron: Yes, that would not go over.

Mar: You're right, Byron, You know, I almost wish it were you living with me instead.

Byron: That comment was a surprise! Where did that come from?

Marissa, I have always felt affection for you. You are too young for me, of course.

But you have been such a lovely part of my life that I almost wish to be young again. I believe in marriage, not playing house like you're doing these days.

Mar: If we were closer in ages, you'd still want me after all that sex I've had?

Byron: We haven't even met in person. What's more important to me is that you grow up.

If I never knew you before, but met you as an accomplished woman, mature beyond her years, I could go for you. Age would make no difference.

I'd love you for who you are, not what you've been. Randy, Jim, or whoever you slept with would never enter my mind.

Women have cut men slack for eons, I'd do the same for you.

Mar: You would??

Byron: Whether you're knocked up some day, in rehab, or whatever, I'm still your friend.

Mar: It means so much to have a friend like you. I wish I could trust everyone the way I trust you.

Byron: Marissa, something else before we part.

OMG. How's that for a beginning texter?

I see you as a girl of such great potential. You're smart. You could be Phi Beta Kappa and graduate summa cum laude.

Go become that accomplished doctor, if that is what you really want.

But listen to me, sweet young lady. You risk losing it all if you spread your legs so much. I like sex too, but it's best enjoyed by a husband and wife.

Mar: I am afraid that I will have to leave you on this forum. Do you hope his love and mine love will grow? Aren't you going to ask his name?

Byron: I am not going to ask. Call me jealous if you wish. To me he's faceless. Your second time around playing house may be harmless, but it could cost you plenty. I can only pray for you. Some day a guy might just beat you senseless.

Mar: Bryon, you worry too much. Good Night, Byron, or should I say Lord Byron?

No matter what happens, I really like you. I wish you were younger. But I'll never forget you.

Byron: Good Night, Marissa. I feel something for you too. It can't be love because we really don't know each other in the fullest sense.

Since I'll never argue you into my way of thinking, I nevertheless recognize that you have the freedom to make the decisions in your life.

You're seventeen now?

Mar: Yes, and I am now in my second year of college. Not bad for a girl, who sleeps around?

Byron: Marissa, you're a good person, regardless.

Good Night, but not Good-By.

Mar: Good-Night, my grey hero.