Maybe He'll Shape Up

EVP Session Transcript

Stephens, Gunner - Age 18 at departure

Dr. Patrick

Me: Something is weighing on you.

Gunner: Well, I am dead.

Me: It's something else.

Gunner: I guess I just miss my girlfriend.

Me: Have you visited her lately?

Gunner: What do you mean?

Me: Since you died.

Gunner: You mean have I... haunted her, I guess?

Me: I feel that is a very derogatory term to use, very negative. I prefer "visit."

Gunner: Yes, I have "visited" her. Once.

Me: Would you like to talk about it?

Gunner: Not really.

Me: I understand. When you feel comfortable talking about it I'll be here. Would you be willing to tell me how you two met?

She was a blue speck on a sheet of white on the wintry hillside. She paused every so often to sip her hot chocolate. I had never seen someone drink hot chocolate so sadly. Her silvery green eyes looked beyond the horizon and into her deep thoughts.

"Hi," I said, trudging over to where she sat.

She looked up to me through a strand of red hair, "Hi."

"See anything interesting out there?"

Her eyes traveled back to the distance, "Not really. I come here to think sometimes."

"Do you mind?" I gestured to the spot beside her.

"Go ahead."

"You wanna talk about it?"

"You really want to hear about a total stranger's sob story?"

"If the total stranger wants to tell it."

She smiled briefly, punctuating her freckled cheeks with dimples, "Okay, sure. Just promise me you're not an axe murderer or something. Most people don't make a habit of approaching strangers in the woods."

"I promise I'm not an axe murderer. Just friendly, scout's honor... So, what ails you?"

"I just dumped a guy. I feel kind of bad."

"You must have had a good reason."

"I guess I did. He got into drugs, the real bad stuff, too. His sister died. Cancer. He couldn't handle it, and I thought he'd turn to me for comfort when he was ready but he didn't. He's not the same person I met two years ago. He's gotten kind of violent. I don't think he'd hurt me, but maybe he'd hurt himself, or even someone else," she shook her head at the thought. "If I'd stay with him maybe he wouldn't do it. Maybe he'd go back to who he was before. He was a nice guy once."

"You have to do what's best for you. You did the right thing. Maybe he'll shape up."

"Maybe," she wiped a stray tear. "I just hope he doesn't screw up."

"If he does it's not your fault."

"Thanks, um..."

"Gunner."

"I appreciate it, Gunner."

I shook her hand, "No problem... Maybe we could do this again sometime?"