Things Will Change

"Don't touch me!" She yells loudly. "Don't touch me, Jake."

For once your name isn't honey in her mouth. It finally sounds like she actually hates you. And it hurts. It hurts like a bloody knife in the heart. You never thought it would be like this when she finally did come out of the mind control. You knew she would hate you and lash out like this... She didn't entirely have the verbal chance to take you down before. She did kick you, but... That's not what makes any person better.

You back away from her. Tears are spilling down her face, she's trying to calm herself down from all these emotions that have rushed over her.

"Do you have any idea? I put up with shit from you that I shouldn't have taken from anyone and it was because I loved you. Now all I can do is hate you for how you hurt me. And still I'm conflicted... No! Roxy don't touch me either!"

Roxy had been moving to console her but she backed off now.

"Jane, please just let me explain-"

"No. No you don't understand! I don't want to hear another word!"

Dirk has placed a hand on your shoulder. You shake him off, no matter how much you love him, no matter how bad you want to fix things with him, you can't do this right now. Because right now it's about her. You take a step away from Dirk. He gives you a pained look, but you shake your head.

"You broke me," she chokes out.

You look at her wishing you could take it all back, wishing you hadn't led her on like you did. Her feelings have possessed her and it's all that's keeping her from HIC. Without them and their overwhelming power she would be sick just like Jade was.

"LOOK AT ME!"

You snap your head up and look her in the eyes. She's in your face now, really at you. She's calm for a minute then becomes infuriated again.

"How could you do this?! You say I'm so great but then how could you be so cruel?! How could you miss that I was pining away for you like a puppy waiting for her master to come home."

John is just watching you, he's got this expression on his face that's telling you he wants to help, but it's up to you now.

"You kept me waiting and then you came and you teased me, you suspended me... You always suspended me, and I let you. I don't understand HOW COULD YOU BE SO CRUEL?!"

You swallow. What the hell are you supposed to say? She stares at you, tears still brimming her eyes, her cheeks are red with blood and her lips trembling. The pools continue to fill and spill over. Her face contorts and then there's a sharp pain against your cheek. It radiates across the epicenter of initial pain.

"Why won't you answer me?!"

Another hit.

"JAKE ANSWER ME!"

This time it's a punch to the gut. You've had worse. You won't fight back. She pushes you and you step back. She hits you again and you stumble and fall. She stands over you, looking down at you, tears falling from her face. Her glasses fall and you catch them before they hit the ground and break. You slowly get up and wipe her face, slipping the glasses over her ears. You wrap your arms around her.

"I'm so sorry Jane. I'm sorry."

You pat her head and let her cry into you. She claws at you and makes muffled noises while pressed against you.

"Jane."

It's Jade, she's floated gracefully down and put a hand on Jane's shoulder.

"I'm sorry but... We have bigger problems right now and we can't waste anytime."