Prologue

Sorry. This stuffed up. I'm putting it back on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Prologue - Jack~

I saw the terror in her eyes, as she realised that she was chained to the wall, her heavy breathing drying her quivering lips. I stepped out of the shadows. She jerked her head towards me, her face lighting up as she recognised me.

"Jack!" she cried. "Help me, please!"

Amusement flicked across my face and I smiled, my pointy teeth shinning in the dim light. I didn't reply.

Her hopeful face dropped and was replaced by horrified fear again. "Jack?"

June 19th, 1980. I stood behind the ghostly trees of Dandenong Forest. Melbourne was so bitterly cold during winter. My type of weather. I smiled at the joy of being cold, as I watched three humans move into a double story house. A man, a woman and a little girl. I focused my attention on the little girl. She looked happy, as did the man and the woman, who I suspected were her parents. A big white truck chugged into the driveway. More humans unloaded furniture and carried it into the house.

The little girl was running up and down, shouting with excitement. I wondered how her parents could put up with such noise. My smiled was wiped off my face as she stopped and stared in my direction. Her mother came over to her and frowned.

"What's wrong darling?" I heard her ask her child.

The girl pointed to where I was standing, and wisely, I stepped back and disappeared into the shadows of the trees.

~Lisa~

After the man had gone, I kept staring at his spot among the silent trees. The excitement was whipped off my heart. Seeing that man made me feel scared, but involuntarily. Mummy gently took my hand and pulled me into the house. We walked around a bit, looking in the different rooms. Then, suddenly,

"Lisa..."

I looked up at her, "Yes Mummy?"

She blinked and looked down at me, "What's wrong?"

"Didn't you call my name?" I asked.

She shook her head, "No."

I frowned. I didn't understand. I'm sure that someone had said my name. Oh well, I must have imagined it.

"Lisa..."

I flung my head up to Mummy again. She was chatting with one of the furniture removers. It really wasn't her.

"Come up the stairs, Lisa..."

I pulled on Mummy's sleeve. She glanced at me in slight annoyance and held a hand up to me, meaning that I have to wait. I pushed out my lip and put my hands on my hips.

"I've got something to show you, Lisa. Come upstairs..."

The high-pitched voice was nagging me. Wanting me to follow it. I tugged on Mummy's sleeve again, "Mummy, come upstairs with me."

"Lisa!" she said, sharply. "I'm talking!" She turned back to the furniture remover and apologised.

I wrinkled my nose and broke away from Mummy's side and ran upstairs. I stopped in a narrow hallway.

"This way, Lisa," the voice whispered, "I've got something to show you..."

I followed the voice to the end of the hallway. There was a big wooden door at the end. I slowly twisted the door knob and went in, closing the door behind me. The room was empty except for a small wooden chest in the corner. I leisurely walked over to it. Kneeling down, I unlocked the clip and opened it. Curiosity ran through my body. What was inside? Treasure? Books? Money?

"Inside..." hissed the voice which seemed to have come from inside the chest.

Within the box was a silver necklace. Its pendent was the upper half of a person's body. Its arms were up in sort of a surrender pose, but instead of having the hands open with the fingers spread apart, they were closed into tight fists. The head was hairless, but had a complete face with the eyes shut firmly. The outline of the whole pendent was encrusted in deep blue sapphiresand brilliant green emeralds. I gasped and smiled at its beauty. I instantly put it around my neck, feeling the cool chain on my chest.

I thought that I saw the jewels suddenly switched their colours to red and back, but I was probably just imagining it. Right?

~Jack~

I saw the little girl run back downstairs to show her mother the necklace. Her mother smiled and it looked like she said, "That's beautiful."

I smiled, and said to myself, "She has it."